Router table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a man after my own heart Roy!

I go around everywhere thinking "what can I use that for...?"

Sometimes that makes a better solution than the commercial one!

I got some VELUX window opening screws the other day...solid brass and long! I am in the process of designing a nice hardwood dogged vise! I think they will be IDEAL!

:wink:

Yep! It's amazing what can be adapted with a bit of thought Jim

Roy.

Until very recently Chems all my projects have been large, French door porch entry, stable door rear entry, built in wardrobe and no WIP pics 'cos my workshop is too small to frame such large jobs in my camera.
But I did recently manage a couple of small bracket clocks. Now these needed a half inch radius on the dome, four inch long by one and a half inches wide.
Trying to produce such on the end grain was a real problem, and free hand on a router table probably lethal! This was my solution...

23h12yb.jpg

a sled!
The hold down is a modified 'F' clamp and the whole assembly tracks along the fence. With an overhead router the work piece tracks from left to right of course.

Roy.

Hi Roy

Do you have a shot with the piece in place or can you put a piece in place and photograph it so I can get my head around what you are doing here...this looks very useful!

NOW...where did I put that enlarger!!! :D :D

Jim

ddymh4.jpg

281eioj.jpg

rj19hl.jpg

Does that help Jim?
Cutting an Ovolo, for example, across the end grain, or even a shoulder as shown would be a nightmare, this way makes it safe and easy.

Roy.

Hi Roy

Yup mate that is superb and thanks for taking the time to show me.

I now know what an OVALO is too! I looked it up!

See...me...I would have done that with my bandsaw and a very sharp chisel or two....then some sanding but this solution is both clean and smart!

I want to build a side and an overhead adaptor for my table...come Spring proper! The router is an incredibly versatile tool and I want to max out the usefulness by adding jigs and fittings.

Cheers for the continued inspiration

Jimi

This week, I knocked up my own simple dust shield for my Freud router, after seeing Roy's idea.

3445302301_8d64f3fc7a.jpg

It's not as large as the one Roy made but, it does stop all the rubbish from falling in to the router - which, I think, is the most important thing. Plunge bars and the rest can all be brushed off.

3446118834_dee499f161.jpg

As I didn't fancy taking my router apart to fit mine :wink:, I sunk three rare Earth magnets in about 3mm deep in to the 6mm acrylic - these locate on the heads of three machine screws, fitted around the collet.

So far, it appears to be working well. Thanks for the inspiration, Roy! :)

You're welcome. Mine is just coming up for a bearing change after about four years in a table so I think shields are worth having.

Roy.

Roy,

I have the same TR12 Router (in fact two of them). I've tried to adjust the speed by lowering the voltage to 180V. It slowed down, but under the load started rapidly overheating.
Just for curiosity, I plugged in a multimeter - the current drawn by the router was over 11 amps (had 1/2" straight bit in it, cutting 19 mm MDF).
I let the router cool down and checked the current under normal voltage (240 in Oz). It was just ~ 4.5 amps with no load and 7.5 amps cutting).

It looks like the max current drawn by the TR12 should be no more than 7 - 8 amps under the full load.

That's why mine was getting hot!!!.

I believe since, that prolonged lowering the voltage would cook a router, no matter how tough it is.

I don't want to discourage you, but it would be a pity to kill the TR12.

Btw, the other TR12 is permanently mounted in a simple table - I use it only as a jointer with 1/2" 60 mm bits. Works like a champ.

The table looks great.

George

Hi George. To be honest despite the home build speed controller mine tends to spend most of its life revving like crazy, but your point is well taken.
One of the daft things about brush motor control that appears to be ignored by designers is the rather obvious fact that as you slow the damn things so you slow the cooling fan!
Doesn't help!
Your observations are one of the reasons that I fitted a dust shield to the router in its inverted state, the cleaner the router the better the cooling fan can perform its allotted task.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back