Router Table setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberdog

Reaction score
Hi All, and thanks for having me :)
I am a newbie-ish and am getting a Triton MOF001 router tomorrow. I am trying to locate an insert for making a router... There seem to be loads of 'plates' avalable but i'm not sure which will fit my router. Budget wise, cheapest but good enough is my current way so would it be best just to make my own from plate steel/aluminium or something else? I have a lovely un-used gloss white MDF side panel from a recent kitchen fit which would seem to do the job for the top, maybe backed by further sheet of MDF to make more rigid.. Ive also realised that it may be possible to fit the table into my (also recently aquired) Rexon 2500a table saw...what would the plusses and minusses be for doing it this way..?
Any advice would be very grateful as its all a bit of a minefeild at the mo, such a steep learning curve :lol:

I bought the table from Rutlands and Incra plate from Peter Sefton, this is it fitted to my SIP table saw ( before I replaced the plate supplied with the table which I felt wasn't beefy enough for my DeWalt 625) but nothing to stop you making both the table and insert yourself.

I'd use SRBP or aluminium as preference for the plate although as it's only a 1/4" router there are other materials available as well as some cheap insert plates which would probably carry the weight.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 103
kreg prs4304 is a plate sold ready drilled for the triton you own. I have one attached to my mof and really like it . my table is a 1000 wide kitchen unit with a 1200 table top. many of the pros here will tell me its not flat enough and i need a metal plate rather than a phenolic one. but i am very happy with the set up and it lets me do lots of things i couldn't easily otherwise.

as always horses for courses.

supply of the kreg plate looks to be very patchy - i paid £50 for mine but i've seen it for as much as £120 and often is out of stock,

Thanks Both. Great table Lons, this would work for me. I have a smallish shed (should probably start refereing to it as a workshop) and a fold down table woud be fine.

I had looked for the kreg plate but as you said, its very hard to come by. I guess any plate could be drilled to fit my router if the screw holes didnt fit at the start anyway.
Much appreciated, hope you dont mind a few other queries when I get going ......

I adapted some legs from very cheap trestles I bought years ago, screwed some ash to the saw table and just used heavy brass door hinges to a similar bit screwed to the router table. I had a spare NVR switch which is fixed to the saw cabinet and a length of cable to plug in independently so pretty safe.

As I said, I went mad and bought a router raizer and an Incra magnaloc plate but you could very easily make it yourself. If you do buy then they are available undrilled. I'd advise minimum 6mm but much better if 8 or 10mm thick plate, depends on the material.

My reason for buying in the table is because firstly it was very cheap at the time and has a decent fence system and the size was exactly what I needed. At the time I had little spare time available to make one from scratch.

Good luck with the project, look forward to seeing pics.

Bob

Yandles in somerset keep the standard kreg plate (undrilled) in stock at around £50.

Back