Router for door hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamonn

Established Member
Reaction score
What type of router device/model/configuration would folks suggest for routing out door striker plates? etc...

I'm guessing the smaller the better so it can be used free hand but also with the most power possible for the job?

I would mostly be routing out 2-3 mm depths.... but would also be interested in something that could possible cut out 20-25mmm for the striker plate hole. What experience do folks have with small routers and the "power to weight ratio" dynamic?

Extraction options from the router should also be considered.

After, watching it on Youtube, I think it would be definitely too light for my needs.

really??? use a router to cut a striker plate hole is utter nonsense. a simple 1" spade bit does it so much easier, fastr and less risk of f/ups, and there are templates in the package to show you where to do it.

I use a fleamarket old B&D router with a template follower and plastic templates., or if I'm so inclined, scribe it with an olfa knife and chip it out with a 1" chisel. I never bring out power tools (other thn a drill) to do just one door.

really??? use a router to cut a striker plate hole is utter nonsense. a simple 1" spade bit does it so much easier, fastr and less risk of f/ups, and there are templates in the package to show you where to do it.

I use a fleamarket old B&D router with a template follower and plastic templates., or if I'm so inclined, scribe it with an olfa knife and chip it out with a 1" chisel. I never bring out power tools (other thn a drill) to do just one door.
Yes you are right about the hole, but still I was asking, incase there was something out there that will do it. I do many a day and if it call be done with one tool the better.

Also a router will give me perfect depth for the plate and never any messing around with cardboard shims, etc...

my door kit has multiple templates for the aforementioned b&D router, complete set of outline punches, and even an old full-mortice lock router, not to mention the lock-picks, re-keying stuff etc.

you said
"I do many a day"

so did I ! OH so many stories to tell! No doubt you have too. But I coudn't live without cardboard shims!

Now that I'm mostly retired, my door activities seem to be mostly fixing up reno f/u's. On my list for this week is removing 200# Church doors and making them fit!

as for "if it call be done with one tool the better.", all I can say is dream on!

my door kit has multiple templates for the aforementioned b&D router, complete set of outline punches, and even an old full-mortice lock router, not to mention the lock-picks, re-keying stuff etc.

you said
"I do many a day"

so did I ! OH so many stories to tell! No doubt you have too. But I coudn't live without cardboard shims!

Now that I'm mostly retired, my door activities seem to be mostly fixing up reno f/u's. On my list for this week is removing 200# Church doors and making them fit!

as for "if it call be done with one tool the better.", all I can say is dream on!
You sound like just the man to talk to. 😀

So if you are routing out for a simple internal house door striker plate? You use the router to rout out the plate dept and outline, with a template?.. But what do you do for the striker's hole?

For your router?.. What extraction kit/attachments were you using?

"But I coudn't live without cardboard shims!" ?? What are you using them for?

"No doubt you have too."... (I've only been doing it since March... but) A 4 storied modern mansion, built into a rock face, overlooking a Fjord, filled with all trades, in a mad rush to get it to a liveable state for the owner arriving... and I sit down to my first Glossy "Painted" door... and proceed to have a blonde moment by drilling the hole arrangement for the handles upside down. 😆No one else gave a dung... but it was a low moment for me.🤣

"all I can say is dream on"😂

What type of bits are you using?

Could you post 3 images/or links of what these 3 things actually are, to you? (I will also Google them, but I just want to see exactly what you are referencing).

(1). "outline punches"

(2). " old full-mortice lock router"

Last edited:
asked was

"But what do you do for the striker's hole?

In the third photo, inear the upper right , sitting on top of a template is a round rod- which has a centre on it. You drill the striker hole in the door, put this in the hole, close the door and strike it,,,Et voila a centre for the hole in the door jamb

If you are wanting to also door the mortices for locks and tubular latches etc then you need a big router simply to get the depth, I use a Dewalt 625 and Trend lock jigs but only had a couple of doors but wanted a really good job as doors were over £200 each and I do not have the chisel skills.. This was discussed on these forums, do a search but I recal that another jig was recomended by Souber which uses a drill.

https://www.toucantools.co.uk/souber_dbb_lock_morticer_jig.html

What type of router device/model/configuration would folks suggest for routing out door striker plates? etc...

I'm guessing the smaller the better so it can be used free hand but also with the most power possible for the job?

I would mostly be routing out 2-3 mm depths.... but would also be interested in something that could possible cut out 20-25mmm for the striker plate hole. What experience do folks have with small routers and the "power to weight ratio" dynamic?

Extraction options from the router should also be considered.
Hi!
My day job is a price work carpenter working on new builds, as such speed an d repeatable quality is key.

My tools I use are: x2 of the Dewalt cordless routers…

(DEWALT DCW604NT-XJ 18V LI-ION XR 1/4" BRUSHLESS CORDLESS ROUTER/TRIMMER)​

I like these as they come with the trimmer base and router base. I use two of them so I can have one of them set up permanently with the router base for hinges using a trend skeleton jig and one of them get changed between the router base for the latch with the trend adjustable lock jig and then with the trimmer base for keeps.

I’ll do the keeps traditionally ( mark, knife and drill hole) then use the router with the trimmer base to cut keep plate, then change the depth to cut the corners for the keep back box and a chisel for the keep corners.

Back