Router, fix or new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
My router is an old PP model, and to operate you have to grip the on/off button with increasing force to use! It is now at the point of being almost unusable!

I would like in the future to build a router table, but as I've never used one I can't get my head round how you adjust the router and why some are better than others. Also how you do have a a proper NVR switch on the table, does this mean replacing the on off button anyway?

So should I...

fix switch, is this possible?

keep this one for in a table with NVR, wouldn't need to use on/ off button? Is this right? Get a new one for handheld use.

Get a new router? If this is my only option, any recommendations. I know Trend/Triton are liked by many for tables but in the short term I'll be using freehand and also have limited funds. So any smaller cheaper options which are well suited for a table?

Thanks for the advice.

The switch problem could well be that it's bunged up with dust, or something is slipping out of position. A blast with an airline might be a solution, but more than likely it will need to come apart. I'm only a few miles away in Crowborough - if you want to pop over with it, I'll see what I can do.

While you're here you can see how a table functions and perhaps appreciate the important points for routers to use in them.

Ray.

^^lol! Seriously though, if you can't repair the router switch (and if "PP" = "Performance Power" that's unlikely, TBH) then you can probably adapt it for use under a table. I have an old Trend T3 (probably the crappiest of all cheap crappy routers :oops: ) slung under a bench and it works fine for simple grooving and profiling in MDF and softwood.

Re. the question about NVR switches; you can get an NVR switch (Trend, again?) that simply acts as an extension cable for your router; you plug the NVR into the mains outlet, and your router into the NVR. The router has to be 'on' permanently, so the switch usually needs to be fiddled with somehow (tiny G-clamp, velcro strap) to override the safety features, then it's simply a case of hitting the green and red buttons on the NVR as required.

HTH, Pete

Thanks all for the comments

Pete, I thought that was how NVR switches worked but didn't think it could be that simple! Yes it is a Performance Power outer.

Ray thanks for the kind offer - with work so crazy and lots to do at home not sure I can spare the time to come over at the moment.

So I definitely won't get rid of the router will be useful for a table in the future. Will probably see if I can pick another one up second hand.

Thanks again all. :D

Back