Rotation-locking hardware?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making my girlfriend an auxiliary table for her desk, since she has one of those desks with a keyboard tray which is annoyingly wide enough to get in the way but not wide enough to use the mouse to the side of the keyboard, and she'd like to. I have the whole thing done apart from one last detail - currently it works like this:

- There's a two-part clamp which grips around a pillar that's already there on her desk, and is held in place with a pair of carriage bolts and butterfly nuts. This holds incredibly well to the table pillar, I'm quite happy with that.
- At the end of the clamp is a horizontal-axis hole, so that the table can be tilted up and down slightly.
- The table itself has a support bar running alongside the underneath, which also has a horizontal hole through it, which is held on to the clamp part with another carriage-bolt/butterfly-nut combination.

I realise it would be much easier to visualise with pictures, but I was hoping to find something at the local hardware place and they didn't have anything that looked likely.

The problem is that the table-tilt axis doesn't hold very firmly. It's not awful, if I tighten it up it takes quite a bit of force to tilt it, but since it's going to have an arm resting on it I'm worried it may slump over time. In the worst case, I can use a locking pin with a series of small holes drilled at different rotations, which would more or less solve the problem, but not be very elegant. I've seen some two-part hardware which goes in the middle of the bolted-together joint to lock the rotation once the bolt is tightened... but I've not seen it for sale, and I have no idea what it might be called. Does anyone recognise the idea, have any clue what I might look/ask for?

barkwindjammer":3fckbtn0 said:
Think I know the type of thing you mean, like an angle lock on a childs buggy ?

like this, only smaller ?

Yep, that's the kind of thing I'm after!

Latest posts

Back