rotary sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildewood

Established Member
Reaction score
hiya I'm looking to get a rotary sander for work i have the Dewalt 125mm & it's not man enough i need something viscous to take down paint wood & filler quickly - I'm looking at the Makita bo6030 or the Metabo sxe450 (i tride the Milwaukee & it jammed straight away) anyone have an experience or another one (in this price bracket) any input would be great cheers & thanx shaun

I have a Titan cheapo 125mm ROS.

Combined with a decent paper this can take down filler no problem. I use Norton Adalox.I don't find the backing material to be that great when you pull it off and on the velco but it does remove material fast.

Have you tried using a low grit branded paper ?

I have an ERBAUER ERB382SDR (90 quid from ScrewY̶o̶u̶Fix)

With 80 grit Mirka discs, I have yet to find something that'll fight back.

I have somewhere an AEG clone of the Metabo sxe450 , It's a beast!
for £124.49 new I do not think you can get something better, however the ''dust collection thing'' on it is just useless, have to hook up a vac for it.
I remember when I bought the AEG (used) , I wanted to get the metabo but it was somewhere around £180 last year, so has come down in a price A LOT!

perhaps look on ebay for used one for half the price? They are built like a tank!

I've the Metabo - great bit of kit - walls, wood, metal. I also have the Festool Rotex 150 whic h is heavy, torquey and quite willing to destroy anything in its path whether I intended to or not.

makita sander bo6050 if you can up the budget. Cant recommend it highly enough. I prefer it to the rotex.

With the fixed mode it will remove material rapid then swich back to ros for finishing

I have the festool rotex 150 as well a it can handle anything you can throw at it, can be as aggressive as a belt sander but works equally as well as a finish sander.

I've got a Rotex. It's a good all round sander. Rubbish with Abranet paper though. It sort of bridges the gap between belt and ROS, although I'm not sure it was a gap that really needed bridging.

yes but the rotex is like 3x the Op's budget. I have a mirka which is much better than the metabo one but that's also 3x the price.
never liked the abranet mesh things as well, fine for very fine sanding but that's it,if you want to use it to remove stock those things tear up faster than anything else and just damages your backingpads. the Mirka regular papers are very very good tho and I have a few boxes of those,much better than the mesh.

If you need "vicious" have you considered for really heavy duty work a sanding attachment on an angle grinder?

I bought a Rotex 125 a few months ago and it really is a great sander with the gears it's very aggressive, without the gears and the speed turned down it's a fine and delicate device. It might be a lot of money but it's a lot of sander and cheaper than buying two different types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank you to everyone for taking the time to give me your thoughts much appreciated _ I'll have a think & see if I can up the budget maybe. all the best Shaun

Latest posts

Back