room stats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
In the most general terms there seem to be two types of thermostats, be they programmable, or not.
Low voltage which require batteries, all of my systems have been of this type and I assume they operate a relay in the boiler, and 240V.
If they are controlling only heating they both have 2 wires.
My wife is about to rent a flat in a small village as it is too far for my son to travel to his new school by car and bus. As they will only be there 4 days a week and won't be in all day I wanted to swap the thermostat for a programmable one.
Am I correct in my assumption above?

Apologies ,i have just replaced mine with a wireless hive unit that needs a receiver and did not read your post correctly :)

so I don't understand what you intend by compatible

Wireless may need to be a compatable pair, ie matched programer and receiver but with hardwired any thermostatic programer will work. Battery programers are just a way for the OEM to reduce cost, nothing wrong with 230 volt programers but they need an internal power supply to reduce the voltage for the electronic's, with a battery no need.

Hi bgrbff from what has been mentioned it seems you are looking for a 7 day timer that can be be programmed for boiler operation to suit the days and times you require. The thermostat will switch boiler operation at the set room temperatures only when the boiler programmer allows.
Why not contact the rental property owner to sort out the type of boiler timing control that is fitted.

Hi bgrbff from what has been mentioned it seems you are looking for a 7 day timer that can be be programmed for boiler operation to suit the days and times you require. The thermostat will switch boiler operation at the set room temperatures only when the boiler programmer allows.
Why not contact the rental property owner to sort out the type of boiler timing control that is fitted.
Because it is far simpler for me to swap the current stat for a programmable one. This is an informal let, just for the school year, Sept to May here, and given we already run one house I'm trying to keep the price down. Our house is remote, especially in winter with a metre of snow. To avoid approximately 120km a day just going back and forth to the bus and work we are thinking of taking on the flat for my wife and son. I get to stay at home and party.

What type of boiler is it prgbff is it a combi or a regular boiler? You could download the Honeywell wiring diagram app for detailed information

Have you checked whether the boiler itself is programmable? Mine is, and if it is in the off state then it won't respond to the room stat unless you manually override it. When it's on then it is controlled by the stat, and will fire up as necessary to maintain the temperature you have set.

Consider fitting a hive , nest or tado etc all req an internet connection but boiler can then be controlled by your smart phone via the internet (MOST) boilers are compatible with combi,s needing a single Chanel and system / tank fed boilers req duel Chanel ( heating and hot water. All these set ups can be programmed or used manually from your phone . Some ( hive ) will allow cameras and other devices to be added.

You might want to consult with your landlord before interfering with the heating system!
Here in UK the landlord is responsible for annual safety checks on gas (oil?) heating systems and is also required to undertake efficiency assessments to meet a minimum standard for rental property.
Interfering with heating controls other than on/off and temperature setting via user controls is a no no.

The Honeywell T3 or T4 would meet your needs, T3 is 4 periods a day and T4 is 6 periods a day. These replace the good old CM707 which was a great controller.

If you have two wires in your existing thermostat then you can simply connect up a programmable one, just make sure it is a wired thermostat and not wireless.

Back