Roof steel calculation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone advise how to calculate what size universal beams I require to span 5m roof. These will be sitting on block and brick walls to carry flat (slight pitch) roof. Trying to second guess the builder and get some prices worked out?

You first need to calculate the load ie the weight of the material sat on top. If there’ll be any additional load such as heavy snowfall, or foot traffic, this come in too.

but consider the roof material to be a uniformly distributed load, and go from there. You would normally multiply the load, to give a margin of safety; the margin is greater if it’s to be subject to dynamic loading or if it’s safety critical.

Once you have a load, you can calculate deflection of a proposed beam section to test it’s suitable

I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you have an opening of 5 metres in the wall that needs to support a roof

Or are you talking about the joists having to span 5m ...in which case 50 x 225 C16 will span allowing 0.75kn/m2 snow load.

I think he simply has a 5m span. Likewise, I would simply use c16 or an engineered wood joist (easily handled by one person at that length); I presume there’s good reason for specifying steel.

Yes the work shop is 8m x 5m so a 5m span, looked into timber but the calculation gave something like a 16" joist so steel would be preferred so not to lose internal roof height.
Thanks for all the advice @LJM

Yes the work shop is 8m x 5m so a 5m span, looked into timber but the calculation gave something like a 16" joist so steel would be preferred so not to lose internal roof height.
Thanks for all the advice @LJM

There's some good info here that gives span tables for flat roofs

For a workshop you could probably get away with 50 x 200 C16, there will be a bit of sag but that would be easily overcome by increasing the fall, say to 1 in 35.

A steel for that span is probably going to be 150 anyway.

Rafter span tables for surveyors - Roof construction | Right Survey

Have you looked at engineered products like I beams, Gulam beams or wavy webed beams, have seen these at long lengths and you are not supporting a floor above. These all use design to deliver strength rather than just mass.

I use the Trada span tables to Eurocode 5, from table 7.2 a C24 44mm X 220MM Joist will span 5.09m @ 400 Ctrs with a dead load (gk) of 0.75KN/m2.

Alternatively, contact Read Brothers in Norwich they would do a drawing and calcs for Easi Joists, greater spans and lightweight.

I would suggest steel is an expensive option, I have not long ago installed a steel beam, 3.4m long (178 x 102, 19KG) which cost £91.06 +VAT

Back