Rome wasn't built in a day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else see this? Thursday, 9.00 pm, Channel 4 or available on 4OD. Another irritating 'challenge' show where six modern day builders try to build a replica Roman Villa using only tools and techniques available to the Romans.

First episode was largely masonry but included some misguided attempts to rive timber. There's a huge timber frame to come for the upper floors of the building, which could be quite interesting if they get somebody in who knows how to do it, and teach the old skills. But the producers will probably go for the 'humorous failure' schtick again. Ho hum.

I caught a bit of this while hopping channels. The part where the expert said "NO wheel barrows" :evil: and the foreman replied "I've seen pictures in books that the Egyptians used 'em" (hammer) .
IIRC from school-daze the 'builders' would have had more than just the ONE 'labourer'.
To sum it up, it ain't nowhere near Monty Don's BBC2 Mastercrafts programmes.

Alex.

I found it quite entertaining, but perhaps I've just trained myself to ignore the "humorous failure" angle in these things and take what I can out of it. It was probably worth it just to see the archaeologist completely losing it over a wheelbarrow. :lol:

I thought the row between the professor of archaeology and the B&Q Value builder was hillarious too! :D

Can't wait to see the full timber frame go up after the success of the cart... #-o

I enjoyed it, it was nice change from all the usual bilge on offer. Have to say I was surprised that none of them had the slightest clue about how to split a log but then, thinking about it, why should they? Be very interesting to see how they go about sourcing/producing the materials for the timber frame.

My Dad used those words :lol:

" Rome wasn't built in a day "

Followed by ..
" Only because your mum wasn't the gaffer "

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anybody come across anything similar to that setting out device comprising a cross on top of a pole and four plumb bobs?

Another good idea for those with bad backs was the long handled rake for mixing the lime mortar.

You can imagine in the Roman times the foreman instead of having a quiet word with the poor labourer would have flogged him every day or turned him into a snack for the lions!

Regards Keith

Pure theatre TV IMO :roll: - almost comparable to putting people int the jungle and watch them fall out.
Absolutely no attempt at a serious reconstruction experiment.

They haven't chosen the "builders" for their skills but just chosen typical types so they'll rub off each other and create "entertainment"

The geordie guy is actually a plumber ffs with very rudimentary building skills.

I've got nothing against the show and it is quite funny to see the arguments but some people will get a misguided view of the various professions as it's amazing how many people believe all they see on the box.

Bob

I started to loose the will to live and switched off. If this is a cross cut section of the labour force on building sites I shall say no more.

watched and cringed through the whole thing, the labourer wouldn't last 5 mins on one off our sites, the "carpenter" and i use the term loosely about 10mins and the rest well will wait and see, although the plumber is a funny guy and the only reason to watch the next episode

The Eriba Turner":3ibtissi said:
Anybody come across anything similar to that setting out device comprising a cross on top of a pole and four plumb bobs?....

Didn't see the programme, but a pole with a cross and five plumb bobs is called a "Groma". They are dead easy to make and if used properly, almost as accurate as a modern laser.

Google is your friend.

Back