Rob's New Workshop - I've Got Walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob - since you've got so much of the outer plastic still exposed and accessible from the inside, why don't you just cut it off with a Stanlet Knife and them go ahead and insulate with the cottect VB on the inside. Any bits of the outer plastic that are left trapped between the Frame and Cladding etc. will be fine. That way you should have no problem with moisture condensing.

That's potentially too much air flow from the outside in, for my liking.

The cladding is effectively full of holes, the insulation not tight enough to the studding and the internal VB full of screw holes. That adds up to a drafty workshop!

I'd rather go with another VB on the inside to minimise vapor transfer, and live with the fact that the cladding could be wet next to the external plastic lining.

I'm happy the wood's going to last for some time to come, even in it's current state.

Rob.

I was actually doing some filing last night, and had a read through my policy.

I'm still not sure how I'm covered, if at all, but it's certainly on the list to check and make right.

There are a couple of additions that I would like to make. One is a burglar alarm, but I'm not sure if I'd really get any benefit.

The other is an emergency stop button in a couple of key places around the workshop (tablesaw and chopsaw), but I'm not sure where I can buy this and how it's installed.

Rob.

Roger":d3sso2ql said:
Rob - since you've got so much of the outer plastic still exposed and accessible from the inside, why don't you just cut it off with a stanley Knife and them go ahead and insulate with the correct VB on the inside. Any bits of the outer plastic that are left trapped between the Frame and Cladding etc. will be fine. That way you should have no problem with moisture condensing.
I agree with the above just a bit more work to put the insulation in tight new v/b on the inside closing all penetrations filling gaps in the cladding and you wont have to be thinking of replacements in a few years worth the effort in my opinion.

ratkinsonuk

You can make the plastic that you have up "breath" by poking lots of small holes in it. Rather than standing there for days with an awl (unless you want to work out some anger issues), one of the wallpaper scoring tools that have the little serrated wheels (like the link below) or maybe a pizza cutter with the wheel filed like a saw, will be a lot faster. The holes will let the water vapour out but not let the drafts in. Then you can put another sheet of plastic up over the insulation as recommended previously.

Worked for a friend's shop that was like yours when he bought his home years ago.

http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/4/68/56576

Hi Everyone, Might i say excellent build ratkinson it spurred me to finally register and start posting. :D I Know it's a bit cheeky putting advice in my first post but the only thing missing from this perfect build is underfloor dust extraction. You could build a purpose build extraction extension/lean to at the back. No more messing about with dust extraction pipes and space hogging extractor units in the actual shop. :lol: Alex

I plan to use brick, as the walls surrounding my back-yard already form one end and the side. My council will NOT allow combustible buildings within 15m of my house. (The shed that is already in the yard, right next to the utility room is okay though, as it was there before they noticed it! I guess they didn't notice it was also combustible.) ](*,)

Regulations!

Nice workshop and may you enjoy it for years to come.

John

Cheers Alex!

As you noticed, I've left plenty of room at the back of the workshop for 2 of the largest water butts I can find for collecting rainwater, and the obigitory outside dust extraction bunker.

I'll definitely be installing a new dust extraction system, but I still haven't got my head round quite how I'm going to run the duct yet. That's perhaps because I'm not 100% sure where the machines are going yet.

I don't like the thought of my nice new shop having ugly pipeworks hanging down, but I'm also worried about hidden (underfloor) pipes blocking.

Does anyone have any experience of running duct, and what the chances are of this getting blocked?

Back