Riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenf

Established Member
Reaction score
In a recent thread DustyDave mentioned a spring loaded riving knife on his Mafell plunge saw, which reminded me that I really ought to refit the riving knife on my table saw. It is often coming off for non-through cuts.

I then thought a spring loaded riving knife would be very convenient on a table saw as there would be no need to tempted to take off for any reason.
It may have different design considerations to a plunge saw device, in that approaching wood would have to dictate its degree of erection, but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

Has anyone considered this option, or even does one already exist?

Although my riving knife does go up and down with the blade, it does no do so at the same rate, as the mechanism is a rotary movement rather than a parallel one. Even so, it is possible to fit a very serviceable aftermarket riving knife.

Mine is made of mild steel, but to be honest, something stiffer would be better, gauge plate, for example. It must match your bade, too. I've recently moved from my thin-kerf blade to a slightly-even-thinner-kerf blade and it's catching a bit.

I've filed slots in the RK so it can move up and down and it's a matter of 30 seconds or so to alter the height of the RK to match the height of the blade.

HTH
Steve

Back