Riving knife problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owl

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Freud blade for my DeWalt 745 table saw but now have a riving knife problem. The riving knife thickness measures 2.18mm but the thickness of the blade is 1.83 and the kerf is 2.81. I have searched for a suitable riving knife but haven't had any success, can anyone help me please ?

A 2.18mm riving knife will pass through a 2.81mm kerf, so what is the problem?

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that the riving knife had to be fractionally thinner than the kerf of the blade, but when cutting a piece of wood it seemed to be binding, which I couldn't understand.
I've just been out to the saw again and have found the problem to be that the riving knife is slightly out of being truly perpendicular .... it is (to exaggerate) like the leaning tower of Pisa. #-o

Hi Owl

Seems to be a common problem these days, I had to adjust mine on my Bestcombi 2000, its not an easy thing to get right.

Pete

I'm lucky in that respect Pete ... I have a big Record vice and a big hammer to match (hammer) :lol:

Mine wasn't flat which was part of the problem, much hammering was done to persuade it flat was what it wanted to be, luckily the table top was a good reference surface.

Pete

I had loads of issues with riving knife. after years of frustration I finally found it was the fence which was slightly out of parallel to the blade. It made such a difference and will now easily cut through 50mm hardwood without much effort.

Excellent!

Like I always say "if in doubt give it a clout"

Pete

Back