Ripping on table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed to rip some 220mm wide boards tonight on the table saw to two exact widths. My blade kerf is 3mm so I assumed I would need to subtract 1.5mm from the overall half width (110mm) to get two exact width boards. This didn't work and for the life of me couldn't work out what I needed to do, so to save on wasting more boards, turned to UKW.

Any help would be appreciated.

MR H 91

Deduct kerf from overall width divide by 2.

Set rip fence to this setting, push board in and take a nibble, retract and check the cut both sides, adjust accordingly.

That should be right but its very easy not to set the fence spot on.
I assume you've already started cutting them down and it's too late to start again.

Could you set the fence a bit closer to the blade and rip the boards down, then run the wider "offcut" piece through again?
Or set the fence to your narrowest piece and then run them all through at that

The boards will end up a tad narrower than they might have been if that's acceptable for what you want.

Dan

RobinBHM":27chgxc9 said:
Deduct kerf from overall width divide by 2.

Set rip fence to this setting, push board in and take a nibble, retract and check the cut both sides, adjust accordingly.

You can check if you are central by flipping the board and taking a second nibble to see if they line up.

Chris

Board may not be spot on straight, parallel sided, fence might not be stiff enough, etc. etc. so 220 - 3 divided by 2 = 108.5, then take off a bit for error and cut first board at say 106. Check both boards for straightness ( might have moved they often do), straighten edges and cut both if necessary, or just the 2nd one if first is OK

Unless you have a true saw blade also a true running arbour on your saw bench you will not obtain a cut equal to the kerf written on your blade.

First, you need to do a test run to see just how much is being removed by the cut on the saw, then make the deductions.

It's unfortunate but not all blades cut true, nor do all saw benches run true either.

Mark

PS: may be a bit late now but could help in the future.

Back