RIP Record CL3/4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries, they're good, simple, solid bits of kit and will be around for decades still on the secondhand market, if people ever sell them on of course, many don't ! :)

Random Orbital Bob":1u2co99n said:
Er...they've not gone...will be back shortly with a few mods I suspect (hint....MT2)

Yes I have seen the new specs somewhere, I would have thought that they would have brought that out before removing the CL3/4 so they overlapped in their sales

Dalboy":mr91vwag said:
I would have thought that they would have brought that out before removing the CL3/4 so they overlapped in their sales
Not much logic to that. Most would buy the new one and the old stock would have to be devalued.
It makes more sense to dump all the old stock, then introduce the new model.

Not something I'd do with all my kit set up as is but I would consider when/if the brass bearing goes.

Sort of....I recently posted that the company did an MBO ie the management bought the company from its original owners. But this was a long time ago (over 10 years) and this (change) is just more of the strategy they've been employing since then which is to steadily renew, refresh and improve the company's product range.

The changes they've recently wrung have included getting shot of the Nova chuck range (Teknatool) in favour of a completely redesigned and engineered in the UK range of their own including all the jaws being redone too. I've seen this close up and they were well designed with a really useful set of jaws for a lot less cost than the Nova series. They've basically learned what was good and made that cutting out the middle man and rationalising the range to the most valuable jaws people really want. By positioning themselves as manufacturer they're removed a tier of distribution profit which means customers get the price benefit of the rationalisation. I think they've chosen Britain as the manufacturing base to compete with Axy for one but also just because they are a Sheffield heritage themselves and it's culturally the right thing to do. They've also substantially improved the entry level bandsaws in the Startrite range (for those who don't know RP own Startrite) and also changed the SD300 P/T to become the SD31

Lots of positive, well thought through changes to meet little market niches where gaps exist at sensible prices. I think the chucks will sell well as they've got the quality of the Axy chucks (perhaps slightly lower par in fact) but they're a lot less expensive.

They recently acquired Camvac so they're very serious about supplying decent product to the wood turning market and I think this change to the CL range just reflects more intelligent thinking about improving the range by adopting industry standard specs (ie M33 and MT2 but that remains to be seen as I'm guessing).

I really like them as a company, I love that 5 year warranty because I just don't have to worry about things going wrong and they have real zeal and direction of late. And of course despite the importation of many things Chaiwanese, they are in fact British :)

I have recently upgraded from a CL3 with variable speed to a Maxi 1 with two CS 4 chuck bodies. All excellent value for money products. I understand that the CL3/4 will be back soon upgraded along the lines covered by Bob.
I have always found dealing with Record and their dealers to be a pleasure. Long may they prosper.

Back