Rip Fence Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the rip fence on my Xcalibur table saw so I can get rid of the back rail and fit an outfeed table. I've seen the one Rutlands sell but don't want (can't afford) to pay £300 for a fence, and the Axminster offering is much too small sadly.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dennis

My SIP tablesaw also has a rear rail for the fence, but it didn't stop my having an outfeed table. I already had a large flat-topped bench topped with "worktop", so I arranged the height of the saw and bench to be the same, and dead level. The bench sits across the back of the saw, like the top of a letter T. I then routed a groove across the bench to accommodate the mitre guide and cross-cut sled.

Although there has to be a small gap between bench and saw, it still works perfectly as an outfeed support. And since an Xcalibur must weigh at least as much as my saw, I guess it isn't on wheels :wink: .

This set-up allows me to use the whole bench as support when needed (sheet materials) but other times (ripping 4x2 etc) I only need keep the area to the back of the blade clear. Hope this helps.

Colin

Wow I'm amazed, can it be that the Axminster at £50 and the Rutlands at £350 are the only 2 replacements rip fences available in the UK - sounds like an excellent marketing opportunity for a tooling factory.

Dennis

Why are you so keen to change the fence ? I would have thought that the Xcalibur had a pretty good one ?

Colin

Hi Sonic

Mine had a little accident and is slightly bowed now, that along with the annoying need to clamp it at both ends made me concider replacing it. I talked to Rutlands today, then their suppliers, it seems that there is a shortage of good fences in the UK since one of the manufacturers went bust over Christmas.

Dennis

Ah ! I see. What sort of "little accident" ? Or is too embarassing ......
:wink:
Colin

Nothing very exciting Colin, the fence was off the saw, leaning quietly up against the wall minding it's own business when the big ugly length of oak next to it jumped sideways and attacked it! (fell on it) The result is the fence although largly straight has a nice hollow in the middle. I get around this with a sacrificial plank bolted to the normal operational side.

Dennis

:D have you spoken to Woodford they might be able to replace it cheaper they asured :? me they have a good range of spares

Martyn :D

Back