rexon Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waveman2010

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased one of these in good condition for the princely sum of 30 quid. I note from some earlier posts that it was recommended that the chisels should be thrown away and replaced with better quality ones. I have tried it out on some old pine I had knocking around and they seem fine. Is this just purest talk or will they fail on hardwood?

I forgot to mention that the clamping arrangement was missing but it should not be that difficult to obtain a replacement, should it? the guy who sold it to me said he took it off because it made it easier! Never having used one before is this common?

The clamping arrangement - do you mean the horizontal screw, or the bracket that stops the wood from lifting? If the screw, I'd have thought it difficult to use without it - if the bracket, I suspect he snapped it because they are poor quality alloy. DAMHIKT. Otherwise, they're a well made machine. I've not had problems with the original chisels, but I did polish them. A suggested improvement, which I've not tried yet (mine's in storage) is to stick some abrasive paper to the clamp and the back fence, to help stop wood pulling up when the chisel is lifted - seems to make good sense. Make sure you leave enough clearance between the chisel and the auger - it needs more of a gap than you think.
Phil

phil.p":hccfwb15 said:
The clamping arrangement - do you mean the horizontal screw, or the bracket that stops the wood from lifting? If the screw, I'd have thought it difficult to use without it - if the bracket, I suspect he snapped it because they are poor quality alloy. DAMHIKT. Otherwise, they're a well made machine. I've not had problems with the original chisels, but I did polish them. A suggested improvement, which I've not tried yet (mine's in storage) is to stick some abrasive paper to the clamp and the back fence, to help stop wood pulling up when the chisel is lifted - seems to make good sense. Make sure you leave enough clearance between the chisel and the auger - it needs more of a gap than you think.
Phil

Wot E said, on both counts.

Razor sharp chisels and augers ought to work fine. I don't regret getting a sharpening kit, but there's a bit of a trick to them.

phil.p":2ng8ep1s said:
Phil

Well the back fence is there but the whole screw and clamp assembly is missing. I had thought about making some kind sliding/locking thing with left right stops. Can't quite envisage it yet but I would appreciate a photo of one, I think the axminster has one like it. If you can't improve on the origanal why not at least try?

Back