Review of the Scheppach HS105 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Scheppach HS105 Review

First Impressions
Large table area 640mm x 640mm which extends via a sliding rail to 920mm,
the extending table also acts as a handle to pull the saw along with the built in wheels,
the mitre slots seem reasonably parallel to the blade to a couple of thou,
the fence is quite substantial it locks front and rear,
and has an adjustment knob at the rear of the fence to adjust the tension
of the locking mechanism and once set it locks the fence securely with no movement,
also supplied is a low profile section that can be attached to the fence for cutting
shallow stock or to aid in cutting angles.
The Mitre gauge is basic with no incremental stops and is a bit loose in the track,
but the track itself is a standard size " T " track allowing the use of aftermarket products.
The blade is 255mm 30mm bore 60t with a 2.8mm kerf atb, but this will be replaced asap.
The riving knife is somewhat unusual, that is to say, it has 2 positions the so called transport
position is it's lowest setting, but in the instructions it is recommended to have it set at
it's highest position, this done via a locking lever at the side below table level, the whole assembly
is attached via a bracket with a couple of hex bolts, the knife itself cannot be removed
from the bracket, but with the knife at the lowest setting it falls just below the top of the blade,
but the clearance near to the bottom of the blade is very tight, but if using a 250mm blade
it would still clear the top of the knife by a couple of mm and would have plenty of clearance at
the bottom of the blade, the blade guard is quickly removed by an " L " slot in the top
of the knife.
The rise and fall is by a hand wheel, there is a locking lever for the blade tilt and the
hand wheel has to be pushed in to operate the mechanism adjustment otherwise it
just swings about until locked.
The motor is 2000w brush braked, powerful but noisy, only run it for a few seconds.
Not having used it yet to cut any timber, the setting up is minimal just a few tweaks,
it is quite weighty around 30kg, and is quite stable on the supplied stand ( self assembly),
all parts present no missing pieces for either the saw or stand,

so overall it is quite a substantial beast, and upto now fairly satisfied.
The first project for the saw will be a crosscut sled, followed by a wheeled platform for it.

Would be interested in how you are getting on with the saw.

Have been looking at one of these and think the price looks pretty good. Can I ask how much setting up was there out of the box?

Cheers

Hi Mrbiggles, it's turned out to be a great little saw, to be honest not much setting up at all, i never used the stock blade that came with it, as soon as my freud one came i swapped it straight out, apart from the noise which you expect with a brushed motor, it's great to use, no vibration, the pull out side extension can be adjusted and tweeked so that a full sheet can be cut in half lengthways using the fence, and the fence is solid and the tension for the locking system can be adjusted for the right amount of tension to hold it securely, the only thing i don't like is the way the blade tilt system works, but apart from that i rate it a 9.5, just to add, the mitre gauge is a bit slack in the slot and moves about a little,HTH,
Mike.

Is the table adjustable to be parallel to blade? And the fence? Adjustable? Keeps parallelism? Thanks man.

I could be completly wrong, but based on my thread here :

scheppach-hs105-t100929.html

The table can be adjusted with 4 screws (awkward to get to). I assume you could use this to make the mitre slots parallel to the blade (rotate the table about the vertical axis). With that done, you then adjust the fence to be parallel to the slots (not sure how much play there is with that).

I've just ordered mine.

Thank you. Sounds promising. Hope you'll post a note about fence in praxis - if stays paralell when changing positions etc. If this is OK, than it seems like best choice in its price range.

Hi there.

I'm a bit of a newbie and am setting up my home workshop at the moment. On your review i bought a HS105 and am really pleased with it on the whole.

The only issue that i have is that the extendable side of the table isn't clamping tight enough and so, even though the fence clamps solidly, the extendable table moves when you put any pressure against it. You mention that there is a way of tensioning this so that it won't move - how you i do it?

Sorry if it is obvious, and many thanks in advance for any help you could give.

Two years too late I expect, but this thread still comes up when searching for info on the Scheppach HS105 :)

I've just purchased one via FFX. The saw has had a couple of issues, specifically the sliding table not locking correctly as per the previous poster, plus misalignment in the front and rear fixed table extensions, meaning the mitre T-slot was not aligned and the supplied mitre gauge could not be fitted.

I was put in touch with NMA, the UK distributor for Scheppach, who offered to help me fix it, or simply replace the saw. I'm happy to try to fix it, so they've sent me details on how to adjust the sliding mechanism - it's not obvious until you turn the saw upside down, but there is a threaded rod running from side to side with a 'joining bar' with a lock nut at each end. One end is a left hand thread - slackening off the lock nut means you can turn the 'joining bar' to tighten up the rods and adjust the sliding table lock mechanism. Adjusting the alignment of the front and rear fixed extensions appears to be just a bolt on each side... will look in more detail once the other issue is solved.

All good in theory, sadly when I made this adjustment and locked down the sliding table lock handle, the cam shaft inside the handle sheared off. They're sending a replacement - so can't fault the service, but a little frustrating that I've still not been able to properly test/use the saw.

It's my first table saw and I realise it's still a budget model, but I really like the way the fence itself locks firmly front and back, so once I've got the locking table adjusted correctly, and can get everything squared up properly, I'll give it a proper test/write up, but I'm quietly confident it's going to turn out to be a good first buy. At the very least, the support from FFX and NMA appears to be very good!

I've had this saw a while now and its a very good budget 'first' saw.

However, I am now looking to upgrade when I can, mostly due to the fence. The fact that it locks both ends is both good and bad. Good in that it is very solid, and bad in that it often is out of square (or parallel to the blade) due to it not sliding properly. The concept of locking at both ends is great, but it has to be implemented properly (with some kind of bearing or runner), it just doesn't lend well to a budget saw, where the implementation will be poor.

Hi all,

Scheppach HS105 Review

First Impressions
Large table area 640mm x 640mm which extends via a sliding rail to 920mm,
the extending table also acts as a handle to pull the saw along with the built in wheels,
the mitre slots seem reasonably parallel to the blade to a couple of thou,
the fence is quite substantial it locks front and rear,
and has an adjustment knob at the rear of the fence to adjust the tension
of the locking mechanism and once set it locks the fence securely with no movement,
also supplied is a low profile section that can be attached to the fence for cutting
shallow stock or to aid in cutting angles.
The Mitre gauge is basic with no incremental stops and is a bit loose in the track,
but the track itself is a standard size " T " track allowing the use of aftermarket products.
The blade is 255mm 30mm bore 60t with a 2.8mm kerf atb, but this will be replaced asap.
The riving knife is somewhat unusual, that is to say, it has 2 positions the so called transport
position is it's lowest setting, but in the instructions it is recommended to have it set at
it's highest position, this done via a locking lever at the side below table level, the whole assembly
is attached via a bracket with a couple of hex bolts, the knife itself cannot be removed
from the bracket, but with the knife at the lowest setting it falls just below the top of the blade,
but the clearance near to the bottom of the blade is very tight, but if using a 250mm blade
it would still clear the top of the knife by a couple of mm and would have plenty of clearance at
the bottom of the blade, the blade guard is quickly removed by an " L " slot in the top
of the knife.
The rise and fall is by a hand wheel, there is a locking lever for the blade tilt and the
hand wheel has to be pushed in to operate the mechanism adjustment otherwise it
just swings about until locked.
The motor is 2000w brush braked, powerful but noisy, only run it for a few seconds.
Not having used it yet to cut any timber, the setting up is minimal just a few tweaks,
it is quite weighty around 30kg, and is quite stable on the supplied stand ( self assembly),
all parts present no missing pieces for either the saw or stand,

so overall it is quite a substantial beast, and upto now fairly satisfied.
The first project for the saw will be a crosscut sled, followed by a wheeled platform for it.
Since 2021 I'm the owner of the Scheppach HS105 and find the motor rather weak; even with relatively soft wood. At the moment I have a motor disfunction. When the saw is turned on the motor only makes a soft humming noise but the motor doesn't start. Pressing the thermoprotection button does not work. I hope you can give me some suggestions.
Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards,
Paul

Could be the capacitor but maybe fit a new bigger motor if you are finding it underpowered but do not overdo it otherwise you will find the next weakest link in the saw.

Back