Retirement clock part II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcullum

Established Member
Reaction score
A little while ago you may remember me asking q's about making a clock for my dad (he retires on friday). Well I bought the one from ebay as suggested and after a false start (they send the wrong thing the first time round), I have made this...

I like it a lot more in the flesh then in the photo, the colour differences between the two woods is far less pronounced as is the join. I found it pretty tricky as this is only the forth or fifth piece I have done, the oak face piece was revisited twice before i was happy with it and the base is plum. I made the base with a 10mm x 10mm (dowel?) which I then drilled
the oak top to accept, the finish is plain wax over sanding sealer. I just need to wax the back of the clock, and permantly fix the two pieces together (CA glue?).

Best Regards

Matthew

I like it Matt

The figure in the stand is really nice - where did you get the Plum from?

if I had to make a constructive criticism, I'd have made the base a little thinner in the body, or the frame for the clock a little bigger as they look slightly out of proportion to my eye (but that's personal taste)

Well done!

Dave

Hope your Dad appreciates the work and the angst that went into it. Might even 'turn' him on and he'll be borrowing your lathe :lol:

Pete

Thanks a very nice piece of wood that Plum ! - I always thought plum would be boring !!

I'm sure your dad will cherish the effort and time gone into that clock for him. A lovely gift.

Loz

The plum is from a sapling that was felled to make way for my log cabin at the bottom of my garden (double glazed! My motorbike lives in it!), before I started this it was left under a few tree's in one piece and even put on three or more fires to try and dispose of it. I think all that managed to do was to season it nicely.

I'm not 100% happy with the top of it still, so tonight I may attempt to make another top, I have this one now to put aside as a banker.

I think you're right and the bottom it could be slimmer but to be honest I was very very worried about making that "one more cut" that messes it up!

Thanks for the kind words, and constructive comments. You spend so long looking at these things that it's easy to lose perspective.

Matt

Well I decided that I could not stick the oak "head" of the clock, the blank
was to thin and the colour difference just didn't sit well with me, so here is my 4th attempt. I'm out of wood (and time!) now, so this one has been re-drilled since the photos and now sits flush.

I think I am finally pleased with it, lets hope he is!

well done Matt, I think it was worth the extra effort and makes a lovely present.I'm sure he will be pleased. REgards Boysie.

Back