Restoring Chisesls + Damaged Handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use a Samsung smart phone to film it, a laptop to edit, the internet to upload it but beyond that :lol: 8)

I'm just waiting for Jacob to show up and tell me I've not rounded the bevel enough (hammer)

Rendered unicorn horn :D . Baby oil Philip.

I have got some neatsfoot arrived this week, I'm hoping the hooves and shins will make the edges even better (hammer) :lol:

That's as I thought. Neatsfoot is excellent for leathers - I used it for years on my 'bike leathers. The old chippie I used to work with always said when he was younger, everyone used neatsfoot on oil stones. At school (50yrs ago) we used half and half engine oil and paraffin.

Must admit I don't fancy engine oil and paraffin. As much as I know mineral oil is a petrochemical it's considered pretty safe.

G S Haydon":24vm4y8z said:
Rendered unicorn horn :D . Baby oil Philip.

I have got some neatsfoot arrived this week, I'm hoping the hooves and shins will make the edges even better (hammer) :lol:

It'll make your fingers smell like lardy potato chips.

(neatsfoot is the defacto rule on razor strops)

G S Haydon":36vge1yl said:
Hi Madra,

Just did a similar process to the one you're about to do, here's my results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvUwHTOSw2U

Stormount are pretty good, but it's a nice OLD chisel, good steel, and (as you point out) nice fine edges.

I think your work would have gone faster if you'd used the coarse side on the back as well as the bevel!

I use 60 grit AlZi in the early stages of restoring a blade - nice and quick.

BugBear

Indeed BB.

Although I would go for an 80 grit start; a hangover from my lens-grinding days!
Still if Graham gets the results he is happy with, no problem. It's another old chisel that's been rescued. Despite the Aldi chisels that are being championed, I would imagine the steel in these eBay specials is still superior; even in an old,mid-range quality tool.

Latest posts

Back