restoration of hand carved Portuguese bedstead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help. I bought a hand carved bedstead with finials ,turned spindles, multi quirked panels galore, pineapples etc. I want to restore it for my own use but it has been varnished. The varnish is flaky and yellow and old and will probably rub off with wire wool and elbow grease. I want to keep the old patina and don't want to go too far with it. Someone in my workshop since left had a " restorative" he had made which I am sure he said would melt light flaky varnish and restore the dry surface . Unfortunately i never asked the ingredients. i can brush it on heavy and rag it off or spray it and rag it. whatever works as long as its not paste. Then just an oiling and ill be happy. It all has to be ragged or toothbrushes because of how ornate it is. Any ideas on a spray or liquid that might just take the worst off? Doesn't have to be perfect. It's not a commercial job. Any ideas much appreciated

It may depend on what sort of varnish you have on this bed. Polyurethane varnish is not reversable but may restore with a reviver and crystal varnish is reversable and will restore with a reviver. If you apply some meths to an inconspicuous part and the varnish goes sticky then you have a spirit based varnish. Most polishers have their own recipe for a reviver which are more or less the same, below is mine which I have been using for over thirty years and works well on shellac as well as other finishes.

REVIVER

one part linseed oil ( I use raw but boiled is fine )
one part meths
one part turpentine or white spirit
a splash of ammonia 880
Put into a glass bottle ( HP sauce or vinegar bottles are perfect )
Shake well before and during use.
Apply with a rag or 0000 wire wool ( Nylon pad if it is oak ).
You can add an abrasive for extra bite such as pumice ( Mylands is best ) or garnet powder.
If you try the reviver and it does not work I would be tempted to strip it. You can do this and still retain the patina if you slosh on plenty of stripper and then scrub off the finish with a scrubbing brush and or one of those blue nylon brushes. Appropriate PPE will be needed of course.

Latest posts

Back