Respirators and which board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Furminger

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have just bought an Apollo lathe and am in the process of shortening the bed and am hoping to have it fitted up for the christmas break :D .
I need to fit it onto my existing RSJ frame using a board or plank of some description MDF comes to mind but I have never used it and am wondering if I should bond a piece of ply and MDF together and how thick any suggestions ?
Also I have been resisting buying a respirator for years but I have been read the riot act so any opinion on which make to go for would be a help.
Ken

Which Apollo did you get? there have been two floating around, both ginormous and looking like serious bits of kit

Pete

Whatever you do, don't buy the Trend Airshield, as they are ceasing production and spares will only be available for a year.

Slim wrote
Whatever you do, don't buy the Trend Airshield, as they are ceasing production and spares will only be available for a year.
And the new one will cost you £200 :evil:
Paul.J.

Yes Pete it's certainly a serious piece of kit, it was the one on Ebay not the extra long one, I am realy looking forward to trying it with a big bowl I have got the larger Vicmarc chuck on the way so lots of new toys to play with.
Thanks for the Airshield warning Simon I will bear that in mind but I would like to find something not to bulky or heavy whether that exists I don't know.
Thanks
Ken

Hi Ken,

a couple of years ago I bought a 3M / Racal dustmaster. Apart from the price I was quite happy with it. No weight on my head, hardly any noise, I think a superior design for a bearded woodturner wearing glasses.
motor unit & charger and Mask and don't forget the tube

When shortly after 3M discontinued production and no spare filters were to be had I was not pleased at all. Now that they are back on the market I made sure I got enough spare filters to last me a long time.

Hans

I don't know if they are still made or not (get different stories from different potential suppliers) but I've found the Wilson Turbovisor to be comfortable and effective. Record sold it for a while under their own name - mine is badged as Record.

With regard to the query about a baseboard, I guess the answer is the thicker and heavier the better.......

Latest posts

Back