Replacement Record No3 lever cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":21rwd7jl said:
I am happy to receive any item you win for you and post on should you need something mate.
Thanks jimi, very kind of you. I'll keep you in mind.

Cheers, Vann.

It's heartening to find such supportive forum members and it just goes to show how good community spirit can prove so resourceful when a friend or colleague is in need. I know this is an old thread, but just a quick note for anyone who may be interested.

A Stanley #3 lever cap is a pretty good alternative part until a fresh Record cap can be sourced. Trimming back a Record #4 lever cap to size involves quite a bit of work in terms of materials removal. Especially if you're without a grinder.

After measuring and comparing dimensions between my #3 and #4 lever caps and with the hole for the lever cap screw aligned and centred, the differences in size between a #4 and #3 amount to 2mm at the leading edge and 3mm at either side of the main body section. Not too much of the original bearing surface (Underside of leading edge) would remain afterwards, but there is genuine leeway for adaptation or adjustment.

Does anyone know how much it might cost to have a lever cap re-chromed/nickled?

GazPal":1ieojs70 said:
It's heartening to find such supportive forum members and it just goes to show how good community spirit can prove so resourceful when a friend or colleague is in need.
Indeed. And I'd like to express my sincere thanks to Racers who sent me his spare No.03 lever-cap after GraemeD decided he didn't need it. It is in very good condition too.

GazPal":1ieojs70 said:
Does anyone know how much it might cost to have a lever cap re-chromed/nickled?
I'll have to find out one day, as I have a few other Record and Stanley lever-caps with peeling chrome. One thing I can add that may help: I asked recordcollector (David Lynch) if it's necessary to disassemble the lever-cap for rechroming. He said he's had his rechromed while still assembled. HTH.

Cheers, Vann

I'm really glad Pete's lever-cap went to a good home.....I echo GazPal, and have found the forum to be extremely helpful and friendly, as well as being amazingly creative, when a problem arises. I actually feel quite bad for not accepting Pete's kind offer, but by that time had come up with an alternate solution.....hope there are no hard feelings Pete....

As for the re-plating, I do have a little experience of this having had a couple of lever caps and a couple of old plough planes re-nickeled a few years ago. The bottom line is that it is very expensive if you do it via the normal channels. There is loads of preparation they need to do beforehand (in my case it was bead blasted to remove the old plating and clean the surface). If you want a mirror finish they then need to polish it before re-plating. Companies doing this don't want the faff of doing a couple of items, and often have a relatively high minimum order charge.

In my case, the guy doing the work said he loved these old tools and would do it on the side for a bit of beer money. It took him a month or two to fit it in, but I ended up with a cracking job for a small fee. In my case this was electroless nickel, which gives an even coating on all surfaces and was what was needed for the plough planes, since these have lots of nooks and crannies, threaded holes and so on. Apparently, if you use traditional electroplating, the thickness varies according to the shape of the substrate, and some parts can get missed. For the record, my lever caps were not disaasembled either, and the results were very nice (non-polished satin nickel....not original looking, but very smart!).

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Graeme

Hi, Graeme

No hard feelings, it was spare and went to a good home.

Vann, how is it doing down there?

Pete

Racers":qcyhmn0n said:
and went to a good home.

Vann, how is it doing down there?
:oops: :oops: Err, um, it's still sitting in the box with the other No.03 parts (except for the handles which I have to make) :oops: :oops:

I'm afraid house maintenance has been getting in the way, but I'll get a round tuit soon (I promise).

Cheers, Vann.

Hi, Vann

No problem, I know the feeling only to well :wink:

Pete

Latest posts

Back