Replacement headstock position lock for Axminster Perform CCL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44780

Reaction score
Hi all,
We recently purchased a quite old Perform CCL Lathe from a friend whose woodturning father had passed away. We've realised the headstock position lock is missing, and Axminster though very helpful no longer have any of that part. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I could get this, or know a way we can work it? We understand the concept of the bar maybe but how to attach it at each side is a mystery. Photos attached, any help gratefully received.
gIMwfHl.jpeg
eSh7R78.jpeg

That is frustrating - it is a great lathe. I used to have an m900 which is I think identical apart from the badge and paint colour.

Have you got a copy of the manual? If not, this should help: https://www.axminstertools.com/media/downloads/aptcm900_manual.pdf

I think it is parts M18, M22 and M24 that you need. M23 is the screw to attach the clamps, but I think that is pretty generic.

Axminster spares is really helpful, but did they look at spares for other similar models? They have sold that lathe under at least 2 names, and other companies have called it dozens of things, so you could try searching with them. Failing that, perhaps a metalworker on here could fabricate you something?

Hi, appreciate the response! Just tried them again but unfortunately they don't have anything for the similar models either. Think we'll have to make something ourselves, looking at threaded rods with some kind of a plate at each end but it's just figuring out how to get these the right size. Thanks again!

...it's just figuring out how to get these the right size.

In the reply above, he suggested two avenues: similar models by Axminster (which you have tried and not been successful) and similar models sold under a different name.

What is the spares situation for the SIP 01938 lathe? The exploded diagram in its manual might be an additional source of information. The diagram will be drawn to some sort of scale so blow it up on a photocopier and measure on the photocopy some part you already have. That will give you the relative size of the parts you do not have.

Make the pieces out of wood initially until you arrive at a final shape that works. Then copy in metal.

In the reply above, he suggested two avenues: similar models by Axminster (which you have tried and not been successful) and similar models sold under a different name.

What is the spares situation for the SIP 01938 lathe? The exploded diagram in its manual might be an additional source of information. The diagram will be drawn to some sort of scale so blow it up on a photocopier and measure on the photocopy some part you already have. That will give you the relative size of the parts you do not have.

Make the pieces out of wood initially until you arrive at a final shape that works. Then copy in metal.
Hi, thanks, very useful! I'll try the spares situation for the model you suggest. That might work with that manual, for the CCL and M900 the manual doesn't seem to be adequate to fully understand the part, I've phoned a few metal engineering companies without success so far. Making in wood seems doable - so that could be a good place to start. Thanks!

Hi, thanks, very useful! I'll try the spares situation for the model you suggest. That might work with that manual, for the CCL and M900 the manual doesn't seem to be adequate to fully understand the part, I've phoned a few metal engineering companies without success so far. Making in wood seems doable - so that could be a good place to start. Thanks!
So what the diagram doesn't show is that the rod going through has an offset central section. That was when you rotate the handle it locks in 1 position, but releases 180 degrees away. (Sorry if that is stating the obvious!).

Forgot, you will also need parts M43 and 44.

You might want to find someone with a similar lathe to get them to take measurements from. Sure plenty on this forum with one that could help you out. The parts aren't complicated, so should be easily made, but it will be a lot easier with the exact bits to copy, not just a shoddy diagram!

Thanks for the responses, all so useful! Please excuse my eternal ignorance - how do you know which lathes might hold a similar/identical part? Both those links (Facebook and ebay) are seemingly completely different (to a novice such as myself) - how would I know they had a part like the one I need?
I wish we'd known the part was missing before agreeing to buy, this is turning out very tricky.

how do you know which lathes might hold a similar/identical part

Imagine the photos in black and white and with the name badges obscured. If they look the same they will be the same. The big lever above and to the right of the part you are missing is a big clue.

Most of the machines are made in the far East, if not by the same factory, to the same design. All the UK importers do is specify the paint colour and the label that goes onto them (Clarke, SIP, Sealey, Axminster).

Search for a generic term: 'reversable headstock', 'swivelling headstock' to find other examples of the type.

Edit: a few others around the world:

On these it appears the part you are missing is parallel with the bed and the locking bolt is perpendicular to the bed, but the principle is the same.

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/w382
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-x-40-swivel-head-wood-lathe-z-series/g1067z
https://toolsidee.co.uk/product/hbm-1100-variable-wood-lathe-P1766.html?currency_een=1
https://www.strandhardware.co.za/toolmate-1236-lathe-south-africa

The Grizzly exploded diagram is particularly clear showing the eccentric shaft.

Last edited:
That is such useful information, seriously thank you everyone for trying to help so much!! I'll look around, and report back when I have a resolution!

Thanks for the responses, all so useful! Please excuse my eternal ignorance - how do you know which lathes might hold a similar/identical part? Both those links (Facebook and ebay) are seemingly completely different (to a novice such as myself) - how would I know they had a part like the one I need?
I wish we'd known the part was missing before agreeing to buy, this is turning out very tricky.
As @ChaiLatte said there are loads. The step shape in the bed is a dead giveaway once you start looking!

How about a bolt in a plate. Perhaps a little oversized for the slot so you can file the threads away, so as to have a flat face against the pulley?

How about a bolt in a plate?

That is a good point. The OEM set-up is to make it easy to swivel the headstock when needed.

If that 'when needed' is once every two years, he could make something that is less easy to use (needs spanner/socket to operate) but more easy to make and that has the same function (in extremis, weld the headstock to the bed).

A friendly ironmonger helped us weld together a kind of T-bolt - a long threaded rod for the sideways held on with plates as you say with a bolt going down to attach to underneath. Fingers crossed! Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back