repairing a bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood yew believe it !

Established Member
Reaction score
was in the process of making a bowl when BANG ! something happened, i still dont know what!! and my recess that was being held by my chuck exploded, was in a quandrey as to how i could fix it as i had already removed 95 % of the internal wood, so came up with this idea:- if anyone wants me to i have a bunch of step by step pics.... let me know
woodturningandstuff134.jpg

woodturningandstuff153.jpg

purple heart with sepele inserts and base, 30cm x 10cm sealed and oiled
woodturningandstuff155.jpg

Dave that is a fantastic solution,and bowl. :D
I think that's the best finish i've seen on Purple Heart. :shock:
What did you do to get such a good finish :?:
Paul.J.

paul, nothing magic, just went through the grades of paper as per then sanding sealer, 2 coats and re-sanded between, then coltron antique oil, two coats. glad you like, took about a week to do waiting for glue drying times and head scratching working things out as i went!
atb dave :wink:

nice retrieval wybi...

I suspect there was just a little toooo much expansion into the recess for its size and the resultant forces of a cut...

oldsoke":367toaiu said:
nice retrieval wybi...

I suspect there was just a little toooo much expansion into the recess for its size and the resultant forces of a cut...

Yes Purple Heart is somewhat brittle isn't it, Pau Rosa can be similarly brittle, just had to repair a lid for someone that had been dropped on a tiled floor and shattered an edge.

Dave, like the proportions, what type of bit are you using for the holes? I presume they are tapered and it is not just my eyesight.

wood yew believe it !":eemk4lj4 said:
sorry chas, down to the opticians m8, not tapered, plain old 16mm wood drill bit :?

Due for a PerSpective check up anyway. :lol:

Latest posts

Back