Repair cracks and splits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Im putting a liitle project together with bits of salvalge wood and have found on one piece that as I'm drilling a pilot hole for a screw the wood is starting to crack and split. Is there anything I can buy that will hold it together and prevent the split getting worse?

Hi Colarris,
You can drill a hole at the end of the split and glue and insert a dowel, this will stop the split running any further.
Hope this helps.

Thanks.
I picked up some WICKS multi-purpose wood filler and applied that. I left it a couple of hours and then tried the screw again. The stuff was still damp and the wood still split a little so that was no good. The screw is in but I guess the split got no worse so maybe it did help a little(?)

How long should I have left it to dry? I've never used it before and the instructions are non existent. Is the wood hardener the way to go?

Thanks.
I guess I really could have just used some wood glue. It is only a small crack and I could have simply smeared glue into it.

if you're going to use pva...leave it 24 hours but also mix some sawdust (from the job so its a colour match) in with it before you smear it in.

For things I need to work on same day I use a 2 part wood filler which is a resin and hardener. That goes off very hard in a matter of minutes if its warm and can certainly be worked after an hour.

Back