Rental cars and low emission zones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to visit the UK and just tried to book a hire car. Should be simple, but there is a small problem. I need to drive in the centre of Bristol where there is a low emissions zone in operation. I don't want the hassle of dealing with that so I want to rent a car that is compliant so I can just drive in & out as required.

Car rental web sites don't indicate which of their cars are compliant with which cities' requirements. I did find a govt web site that allowed you to check if a car is compliant but only if you know the registration number. Obviously that doesn't help me book a rental.

I can't be the first person to face this, so has anyone any tips?

Car rental web sites don't indicate which of their cars are compliant with which cities' requirements. I did find a govt web site that allowed you to check if a car is compliant but only if you know the registration number. Obviously that doesn't help me book a rental.
I think, but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, that all the car hire companies will have only cars that are new enough to meet the various low emission zone requirements around the UK. My car, for instance, is a 2012 petrol 1.6 litre Ford Focus and this doesn't attract a charge for entering any of the UK's current low emission zones, including the just enforced zones in Scotland, such as Edinburgh.

You could, of course, phone your preferred car hire company and ask prior to booking a vehicle. Slainte.

Back