Removing paint from external walls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry it all got a bit mixed up. I'll sum up my points:

The paint, it is ugly and go ahead and remove it if you wish. It is however not causing your damp inside the house so you can re-paint instead of removal.

Damp inside the house is most likely due to poor ventilation but could be another cause.

The damp insulation is neither causes by the paint or by interior moisture, it is either a leak or coming up from the ground.

I think that covers it.

Rorshach? Gotcha. Concur. New vents below the d.p.c. level should help dry out substratum. The rest I've detailed above.
Thanks for the input!
Sam.

Chrispy, that's a good thought, though plasticising the paint with heat might drive it deeper into the pores of the block work? There is also the problem that platen steam cleaners work better on flat walls; our blocks 'belly' out. Will try an unobtrusive corner...or did you mean the automotive pressure/steam washers?..Ahh! Now then! I'm on it. Watch this space!
Thanks, Sam.

i worked for a company and there technique for this was apply the safe fruit based stripper leave overnight then blast off using a steam pressure washer. it took a layer or 2 off at a time. it didnt work on some coatings but it was pretty good. it was made by stonehealth and called no7(like chanel)

a large part of quoting for that sort of work is doing a test patch. so much that the 2 guys doing the job had the nickname of test and patch!

I'd hate to think what my nickname would be for earlier this week, when our main sewer backed up and i spent some time loitering around the inspection chamber.....

Back