Remove sanding pad from Metabo 450

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
A long time since I have posted on here but know you are going to have the answer! I have a metabo 450 SXE sander, as many on here do too! I managed to bash the sides of the sanding pad to bits so have a replacement. However I dont seem to be able to unscrew the old pad off. Using the alun key - it just won't budge! DOes it need to move clockwise or anticlockwise? And it is not easy to secure in a vice.... I have tried dripping a bit of WD40 onto the screw/bolt holding it in. Any thoughts from owners - experienced anything similar?
Thanks in advance, Mark

I imagine in this case its rightly loosy

Look for the model on a spare parts site to give you an exploded diagram of the machine. This will tell you which type of thread is on the bolt. Or in your user manual if there is one.

I swapped my pad a week ago. Similar problem, very tight. Its anticlockwise. I rested the sander on its side of the bench so the disc wouldnt spin around as I turned the key in the bolt in the middle of the pad anticlockwise. You dont think it will budge then suddenly it does. Voila !

Lester Burnham":224brse5 said:
I swapped my pad a week ago. Similar problem, very tight. Its anticlockwise. I rested the sander on its side of the bench so the disc wouldnt spin around as I turned the key in the bolt in the middle of the pad anticlockwise. You dont think it will budge then suddenly it does. Voila !

Eureka! Thanks so much.
I ended up putting a hollow rod on the end of the alun key to give more leverage, and really had to pull as hard as possible anticlockwise and then there was a crack and it moved! New pad on now.
Really your advice was so helpful as it is now sorted. Many thanks!
Mark

Back