Remove old dried adhesive from tiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to re-instate a tiled area which had been removed to allow for a boiler replacement......big job.

The tiles can not easily be sourced today and are at least 45 yrs old. They are in good condition except for old adhesive on the back. Although 45 yrs old these tiles were first used about 15 yrs ago so adhesive should be fairly modern.

Can you suggest a way to remove old adhesive except by hand scarping...tyhere are a lot of these tiles to do.
regards

alan

Depends on the type of adhesive,but it should soften up if you have a steamer/wallpaper stripper,and make it easier to scrape off.

Andrew

If they were fixed with a readymixed adhesive you may be lucky and a good long 24hrs+ soak in larm water will soften the adhesive so it can easily be scraped off. A wallpaper stripper can speed up the process. Make sure the tiles are fully dry before refixing.

If they were done with a cement based adhesive or waterproof ready mixed one then its not going to be easy.

Jason

Thanks for answers.

Whilst waiting to see what you all might come up with a bit of research revealed a few options:-

1) Soak for 7 -10 days in warm water and scrape off.......how to keep water warm for 10 days is a bit of a struggle
2) Place in plastic storage box and steam for 3 minutes and scrape off. I found 5 people who had done this and claimed that it worked.
3) Use hot air gun to soften adhesive...I found 3 people whoi claimed this worked.
4) use Hydocloric acid to dissolve cement over about 4 weeks...after stopped laughter and recovered I guess this only apply to cement embbedded tiles of irreplaceable value.

I think I will try 3) first followed by 2) next then the option of a long soak.

Lets hope its not waterproof.

best regards
Alan

Watch out that the acid option does not take the gloss off the tile, it will work on cement base adhesive but must be rinced well out of the tiles.

Jason

I'd only try the microwave one very carefully ............ some ceramic's can heat very rapidly in a microwave field and could crack/shatter

I don't know if this will happen but I'd be a bit worried doing this

It was late.
I was tired.
I was fed up with too many jobs to finish.

I put the tiles in a tub of rainwater overnight.

Lord oh lord..they are beginning to separate old adhesive from the tiles. I scaped off a goodly amount and just put them back in the tub. Who would have belived it.

regards
alan

Back