Remembering.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread...glad to see that we're all in unison. As one who works with the military every day, the poppies have been on my desk for the last couple of weeks. The Sargent Major made it clear to me that hell would descend from on high if there he caught anyone in the Squadron not sporting a poppy on his beret...needless to say, no dissenters :wink: - Rob

Whilst pottering about in the workshop this morning I was listening to Radio Berkshire covering the local Remberance service, the main topic was of Robert poulton Palmer, of the famous Huntley and Palmers biscuit manufacturers, He lost his life after 15 days in Ypres, but he kept a daily diary, one entry recounted how a soldier who was 4ft away from him took a bullet in the throat and died instantly, THAT soldier was 15 years old!
WHAT a waste, what a crying shame, so futile, and for what, to think that after all those lives were lost, men sat in a railway carriage and signed a piece of paper declaring an armistice, why oh why could they not have done that to begin with.???? :?

Rich :(

I wandered by error past a USAF cemetery years ago and stopped to pay my respects, I couldn't visit all the graves but the thing that really struck home was the age of those buried there.
The eldest was 27, the majority were late teens early twenties.

Roy.

I took Dan jr to the Rememberance Service and parade with Cubs. It was very moving.

Afterwards though, he asked me 'What were they fighting about in the First World War, Dad?'

Other than some Duke in a silly hat getting shot in Sarajevo, I had absolutely no idea! Does anyone?

So while we're remembering the fallen, let's not forget all the silly person politicians who over the years have sent 'our boys' to their deaths for no better reason than their own incompetence, ego, and lust for further power.

Dan

I exclude WW2 from this criticism - there was no alternative but to go to war then.

It's a national holiday over here and a very dry bright one too. I walked with my eldest to our local church which has one Commonwealth War Grave of one Lieutenant D. Haig-Thomas, Royal Army Service Corps, No 4 Commando died 6th June 1944. This I though was a bit odd as the village was not liberated until August 1944.

When we got back we searched a bit on the web and turns out this chap was was a polar explorer ( has an island named after him in Canada) and an an Olympic oarsman (1932 LA) during the war he fought beside (Sir) Peter Scott in Norway and was part of the first Commando landings on D-Day. I can find no explanation of why he is buried, alone, so far from the beaches, admittedly only about 8 miles away, but out of range on the 6th June. We will pay a visit to the Commando museum in Ouistreham tomorrow and find out some more

Fascinating for my daughter to see a bit of local history come to life with the help of the interweb of course.

Andy

Andy,

Be interesting to see the answer, best guess is that he was part of Lovat's commando's who's first objective was the relief of para's at the Orne canal, but who then were pushed further ahead.

Kevin

Typical. The 4 commando museum in Ouistreham is only open May-September - so no joy there.

After some searching in google books I found a few snippets of info from The Day the Devils Dropped In - The 9th Parachute Battalion in Normandy, D-day to D+6.
It appears that Haig-Thomas jumped with the 3rd Parachute Regiment and was to be the liaison between the airborne Paras and the commandos.
The paras were dropped around, and in, the marshes around here to blow the bridges of the river Dives.
Google books offers up a few snippets of info, enough to suggest that he died in a sunken lane around here somewhere. I'll have to buy the book to get the full story.

Cheers
Andy

Latest posts

Back