Redwood floorboards over chipboard floor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am researching this at the moment. We have a chipboard floor in our lounge and my wife has decided she wants painted redwood floorboards to get a more traditional look. I don't really want to be lifting the chipboard up, and I've read elsewhere screwing and nailing into chipboard wont hold up and so the best thing to do is glue the boards to the chipboard using a flexible flooring adhesive. Does this method sound ok and what adhesive would people recommend?

Cheers

you need to allow for movement of the redwood, so shiplap or tongue and groove joints, and how are you going to do the skirting? you might have to re-do all the skirting so it's in line with the new higher floor, will it not affect the doors in the room as well opening?

Skirting is coming off, I'm going to make new with a bespoke moulding. There is a drop into the room already so this would just about bring the hallway flooring and lounge flooring into line so no problem there. I was going to leave a expansion gap of around 15mm all round for movement (Skirts are 22mm thick).

Presumably you can work out where the joists are by lines of nails/screws through the chipboard? You could lay the redwood over the top and use extra long nails picking up the joist below the chipboard. Personally I would bit the bullet and rip up the chipboard or have carpet haha

I'll be honest the original plan was to just to insulate under the lounge floor and have a chipboard floor with carpet. The powers above decided they liked the look of floorboards after :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have read somewhere that nailing could end up splitting the chipboard and gluing was the best option. Researching has chucked up all sorts but kind of plays hell with your final decision :?

Stormer1940":2cpfj1yz said:
I have read somewhere that nailing could end up splitting the chipboard and gluing was the best option. Researching has chucked up all sorts but kind of plays hell with your final decision :?

I am not sure why it would split but even if it did I cant see it as problem as the chipboard would just become a spacer. Not laid boards over chipboard but done oak boards over rubbish softwood flooring and it worked fine. As I say you just make sure your nails pick up the the joists that are under the existing flooring. Snag with leaving the chip in place is what lies beneath? I had a bit of a fright as when nailing the oak down had a bit of a tingle and the lights dipped when putting in one nail. Had to pull up the oak board and the softwood ones below to discover some bright spark had laid and electrical cable into the top of the joist. The large cut clasp nail had a big chunk out of it from the arcing :shock:

I roughly know where the cables are. There are definitely no cables or pipes running across any joists :shock:

Brown pant moment with the electrics :lol:

Back