Record vice screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halken

Established Member
Reaction score
I have dropped another clanger while replacing the wooden linings on my 2 bench vices i have lost 1 set of bolts which secure the wood to the vice and i think they have gone in the bin which was collected this morning, so i need another set but i dont know what size or thread they are, can anyone help with the size and thread so i can get some replacements.
cheers

halken":16kxiy75 said:
I have dropped another clanger while replacing the wooden linings on my 2 bench vices i have lost 1 set of bolts which secure the wood to the vice and i think they have gone in the bin which was collected this morning, so i need another set but i dont know what size or thread they are, can anyone help with the size and thread so i can get some replacements.
cheers

I lost the little swines as well, then found them after I'd solved the problem, which was to use 6mm coach bolts with nuts on the outside of the vice, much easier to tighten up firmly as well.

The rear jaws on mine (Record 52 1/2) have 1/4" X 20 TPI threads I.E. 1/4" BSW 1-1/4" long CSK

That's funny, Chas... My old Record 52½ has four threaded holes with a diameter of 5/16"... :shock: Must be something to do with the age of these vices.

I couldn't find any suitable bolts so, instead, I used a cheap thread-cutting set (Toolstation) and re-cut the threads to take M8 machine screws. Even these are a little hard to find at the right length. Have a look on eBay though; I found a seller down in Devon selling packs of five, stainless steel, in various lengths with free delivery! :wink:

OPJ":1uv3eopd said:
That's funny, Chas... My old Record 52½ has four threaded holes with a diameter of 5/16"... :shock: Must be something to do with the age of these vices.
Mine has countersunk wood screw fixings through the front Jaw.

RECORD RD 664709 MADE IN ENGLAND

I aquired it in 1963 and it had been well used at that time.

Back