Record Power DML 24X Fixed Head, convert to swivel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toni D

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched for it but cannot find an answer.
I can get hold of the above lathe quite cheaply, if I can convert to swivel head, then later improve to variable speed I will have what I want for reasonable money.
Thanks

I don't know what your budget is for these incremental upgrades or even if the relevant parts are available but, if it's possible, it would be cheaper to buy a second hand lathe with the functions you want.
As an example, I recently upgraded my lathe and I sold my 10 year old Record Power CL4 with turning headstock and variable speed control with an RP stand on Ebay for a little over £500 (before fees!). It was in great condition with barely a scratch and it had had almost no use by it's previous owner for over 8 years. There are good bargains to be found.

Alternatively, if you want bigger diameter than the ways currently allow - remove the tailstock, slide the head to the tailstock end and work over the end with a free standing toolrest ( Google and you can make your own)

Brian

Thanks chaps, I'll have to be taking Brian's advice. Retired and disabled, so not a lot of disposable cash for what my wife calls toys.
Hoping to win the above lathe on Ebay, it's in my town so less travelling.
At the moment I'm using a Multico WL-37, so even a 24" Record Power is an upgrade to me.
Thanks again to both.

Toni

Sorry I came to this thread a bit late. My first lathe was a Record DML24 and while a good small lathe the small output of the motor means it is just that a small lathe. I did toy with the idea of turning off the end like Brian mentioned but realised it just did not have the power. It could stall on a small 8'' bowl if you were a bit heavy on the cut so it was never going to handle upwards of 12''.
Regards
John

Even with a small lathe like this there are still plenty of items that you can make. Learn on it and then when funds become available treat yourself to a larger lathe if you have the need to go larger.
If this is going to be the first time in using a lathe then get someone to teach you or join a local club where you will get plenty of help and ideas.
Get a chuck is something that will make things easier as well as buy good quality tools as they will see you for a long time even if you do upgrade later. And not forgetting something to sharpen them with

Latest posts

Back