Record plane, removing side adjuster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to hone flat the blade-side of the frog on my No 3 Record jack plane.
To do this I have to remove the lateral adjusting lever. This appears to be fixed with a rivet but initial careful tapping has produced no movement.
Naturally I do not want to smash the frog casting by applying excessive force.
BTW the yoke rivet came out easily.

Has anyone a trick for this operation ?

Hi, Topaz

Don't bother you can lap it flat with out removing it, Its the bottom edge that is important it must contact the blade. Go diagonal across from each side just missing the leaver and from side to side at the bottom, with either a file of wet and dry on a flat surface check with a straight edge.

Pete

p.s. the yoke rivet it tapered so make sure you get it the right way round

Thanks for the tip, Pete.
I will try your method.

I have another problem with the adjuster though; a factory fault I think (I bought the plane 35 years ago so I cannot take it back!).
To get the blade square at the mouth the adjuster is always set way off to the left. I wonder if a) the round bit is soldered off-center on the adjuster, or b) the adjuster is not aligned with the plane centerline.
Anyone else know this problem ?
I thought a disassembly would make any misalignment clearer . . .

Cheers, Topaz.

PS I thought about the yoke rivet (actually a pin) being tapered and marker-pen'd the fat end.

Is the cutting edge definitely ground square to the iron sides, or less likely, is the slot in the blade not square to the cutting edge?

Hi, Topaz

Do you mean the blade projection or the gap to the front of the mouth?

Blade projection not square is caused by trhe blade not being sharpened square.

Not equal gap is caused by the frog being twisted.

Pete

Twisted frog sounds painful, Pete. Can I get a cream for that? Seriously though, that one's getting filed away at the back of my brain somewhere, thanks :)

Hi, bodgermatic

I had a mate that had a twisted testicle, we called him womble (one ball)after the op :shock:

You have to loosen the frog put the blade and cap back in look through the mouth and twist till you get an even gap.

Pete

Pete,

I think you have missed out one important step.

Loosen frog, put blade and lever cap back in, set an even shaving with lateral adjuster, then twist frog till even gap (mouth) is achieved.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Hi, David

You are right, I don't mind you correcting me :lol:

I haven't seen you in Furniture and Cabinet Making lately, any thing in the pipe line?

Pete

I have a record plane where the rivet was not on the centre line so i cut it off level with the the frog and redrilled it and replaced rivet in correct position its now easy to adjust but i was lucky to find a spare rivet they are quite thin.

Latest posts

Back