record model T5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new improved L-N cap iron / chipbreaker has similar properties to the Clifton two piece, ie bends blade hardly at all.

Lever caps push them flatter again, depending on tension set.

Bailey frogs are often appalingly badly machined, the worst fault being a hollow of width at the toe of the blade support surface. It is well worth checking and flattening the width here or the center of the blade will be liable to chatter.

It is essential that the heel of the blade bevel is well supported, and may not matter at all if the rest is. Holtey has gone for heel of bevel and a single central point support at the adjuster boss. Thick blades of course.

Another possibility for fitting extra thick blades is to replace the Y lever with a new one from L-N or Clifton.

David Charlesworth

David C":159i4kol said:
Another possibility for fitting extra thick blades is to replace the Y lever with a new one from L-N or Clifton.

Hmm. Possible, but famously difficult. This involves driving out the pivot pin on which the 'Y' moves. This pin is put through the 2 (rather narrow) cast iron cheeks in the frog.

Both the removing and replacement of this pin involves the risk of breaking those cheeks.

BugBear

bugbear":3bq6hr52 said:
David C":3bq6hr52 said:

Hmm. Possible, but famously difficult. This involves driving out the pivot pin on which the 'Y' moves. This pin is put through the 2 (rather narrow) cast iron cheeks in the frog.

Both the removing and replacement of this pin involves the risk of breaking those cheeks.

The pin came out very easily with just a light tap on all my Record planes (which were bought in the 1970s), but I agree if you had to use a lot of force it could possibly do some damage.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

One of the modern innovations generally thought of as "cheap & nasty", like two part Y-levers and one piece bent lateral levers, was the roll-pin, which I think is an improvement on the solid pin. It never seems to stick and usually goes in nicely into old planes too if you can get spares. You just need to slightly countersink the entry hole, rather than chamfer the solid pin.
They use them on Webley air pistols now too. It's because you don't need to ream the holes in production, just a drill operation.
You do need a good drift to get them out. I use a jewellers screwdriver with the swivel and the point cut off.
ylever%20003.jpg

Roll-pin looks like a swiss roll, i.e. a piece of rolled-up sheet steel. instead of a solid rod. Fitted on recent planes, prob last 20 years. Maybe limited to "Handyman" or "SP4" quality planes?

I have removed many Y lever pins and one needs to be careful as Bugbear says.

1/16" punches are easy to buy, and I tap with a pin hammer, ie very light hammer.

If not moving, do not resort to Bigger hammer as this might indeed crack the casting.

David C

So really, the sensible thing is to try the pin to see if it moves before investing in a new Y-lever.
Anyone know how much money we are talking about for a Clifton Y-lever?
Does a Clifton #5 lever fit a Stanley/Record #5?

Jarviser":c5n0ytsx said:
Anyone know how much money we are talking about for a Clifton Y-lever?
Does a Clifton #5 lever fit a Stanley/Record #5?

I've always found Clico (who make Clifton) very helpful if you phone them. They could probably tell you if it is likely to fit.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3b350esm said:
I've always found Clico (who make Clifton) very helpful if you phone them. They could probably tell you if it is likely to fit.

And before anybody asks, Clifton don't have a website, and they don't "do" email.

I asked why at a trade show (ATPC) and got the impression that Clifton's boss doesn't think much of obsessive lunatics who have nothing better to do than discuss tools over the internet :)

He described (as an example) the horror of getting an email from someone asking why they used a particular wood for a tote.

Oddly, I get the impression that Rob Lee actually enjoy getting (and answering) those kind of emails :)

BugBear

Mick Hudson, their production manager, the one you see at shows, is very helpful, and extremely nice.

Phone him.

David C

Latest posts

Back