record dust extractor popping noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
hi my record dust extractor dx4000 makes a popping noise occasionally. This then throws the fuse on my garage consumer unit. In the semi dark of this winter weather i have seen a spark from the yellow top of the drum. What do i need to do to stop this happening? I have already cleaned and replaced filters. Any help much appreciated as record power are closed for the christmas holidays. Cheers stewart

Hi Stewart

My DX4000 has sparked in the hood when switching on since I got it several years ago. I've always assumed it's normal due to the brushes. If I throw both switches at the same time I can sometimes trip the breaker. My Dewalt thicknesser also sparks upon starting and can often trip the breaker if it's not been used for a while.

I've never experienced any popping or tripping whilst running with my DX tho.

Jon

From past problem other have had with these extractors it is the suppressor capacitor fitted inside which fail from time to time.
Open up the extractor and cut it out - maybe two if you have a dual motor model. It will work just fine without them.

Look for a cylinder about 5/8" diameter and 2" long with two or three wires.

+1 for suppressor fault. Had the same issue ourselves. Straight forward repair and about £10-15 for the part from Record. Worth doing as sparks and bangs are not the best things to have around fine dust. :?

Cheers Jim

Thanks for the replies. Will get on to it. The loud popping noise is also not great for using machines when concentration is required - not sudden bangs!

Cheers

Stewart

jimmy rivers":11lff7p5 said:
+1 for suppressor fault. Had the same issue ourselves. Straight forward repair and about £10-15 for the part from Record. Worth doing as sparks and bangs are not the best things to have around fine dust. :?

Cheers Jim

Do you have a part number for this cap? I'm sure I can get them much cheaper from my wholesaler if anyone needs one.

Handy thread - I have exactly the same issues with my DX3000, although I notice the left motor (switch) does the sparking/popping more than the right. If anyone finds the cap nice n cheap I may get around to sorting it. I always use one motor only and try to alternate. I tried both motors once and it almost swallowed the bandsaw.
They do suck don't they, but make a racket - couldn't they have used quiet induction motors on these things?

[/quote]
MMUK":24igmdhn said:
Do you have a part number for this cap? I'm sure I can get them much cheaper from my wholesaler if anyone needs one.

Good call MMUK. If I remember right the sting was in the £10 P&P ... Bit stiff what with Record being in the next County :shock:

The machine will run perfectly without this part but for those who feel a desire to replace it then

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/delta-suppres ... lter-rg21x

for £2.99 from your local maplin shop.

Note that it does nothing to supress sparking as hinted at by others but intead reduces the propagation of RFI along the mains cable but as you can't hear a radio over the racket these things make, not even this is a problem.

Thanks, Myfordman. Haven't got near the workshop today other than to put the turkey out there in the cold!

Will have to wait till Friday now.

Cheers

Well finally got to the workshop and I guess the picture tells the story!

Seems to be running fine without the suppressor...

Thanks for the help, guys.

Yes that is the culprit. Most of them fail in time. The voltage rating is so marginal with everything made down to a price these days.

You will find that it makes no difference to the performance at all. Just make sure the ends of the mains wires left connected are cut right off short or insulated and the earth one can't reach anything live.

Latest posts

Back