Record combination Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wudhus

Reaction score
I have an old Record 050 combination plane that I acquired without any blades.
Having extensively searched the web, I have not seen even any pictures of blades that would fit it though - the blade height adjuster is on the sliding part, not on the handle part (i.e. on the left of the blade as seen by the user, not the right).
It would obviously be possible to get some 'right-side' adjusted blades and grind a slot in the left side for the adjusting wheel - but just wondered if anyone could point me towards some that won't need that treatment.

It is also missing one of the spurs (the type that are key-hole shaped and fit on the side of the tool, not the straight type that fit on the front).

Anybody happen to have anything suitable rattling round in a tin under the bench, or know of a possible source?
I would also appreciate any information or links which show/explain what I might have.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

wudhus":13qin7e2 said:
I have an old Record 050 combination plane that I acquired without any blades.

I'm afraid to say you'll probably be able to get a complete #050 easier and cheaper than a complete set of (spare) blades.

BugBear

wudhus":1j1mm7in said:
I would also appreciate any information or links which show/explain what I might have.
That I can do - manual here. Unfortunately I don't think the Stanley cutters on Ebay will provide the solution - unless, as you say, you don't mind grinding your own slot. Another option is to ask around the various dealers to see what they have, but probably be prepared for it to get spendy. 'Fraid BB's bang on the money. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf - thanks for the scan of the manual - just what I needed (even gives the date on the back cover).

I basically want to create a special profile, so I'm going to try and make a blade from gauge plate - shape it with a file, then harden and hone.
Other blades are therefore a nice-to-have right now - just thought I'd ask.
I'll post the results of my home-made attempt up here if successful!

wudhus":3vd5hg24 said:
I basically want to create a special profile, so I'm going to try and make a blade from gauge plate - shape it with a file, then harden and hone.

You may have trouble - since the sole won't (and cannot) match your profile.

What are you trying to make?

If it's a custom moulding, I/we may be able to help.

BugBear

wudhus":4rjn23ha said:
Alf - thanks for the scan of the manual - just what I needed (even gives the date on the back cover).

Other blades are therefore a nice-to-have right now - just thought I'd ask.
I'll post the results of my home-made attempt up here if successful!
Hi Andy,

You may wish to view Jake's new thread on the OZ forum:
Skewed ovolo blade in Stanley 55

Same thing only different

That link to Jake's thread on the OZ site shows a brilliant solution to getting nice, across the grain cuts. Now if someone could design a multiplane with a low-angle blade seating so that the blades could be used bevel-up, that would overcome one of the main problems with combination and multiplanes in that there is no form of chipbreaker. It would no doubt pose a few design challenges, but would be nice :-k

Paul

Back