Record Band Saw BS350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard863

Established Member
Reaction score
Who is the prime builder of this bandsaw? I am looking for a variation of this which is available in the USA.
I am concidering the Carter guide system to replace the very sloppy upper guide which seems to suffer from considerable wear.

Richard

That's come up a few times and I'm not sure we ever got a sensible answer. It's clearly a Taiwanese factory that everybody badges. The marketing fronts here, Europe and in the US do a pretty good job of hiding the origins of these things.

Record Power say they have jointly invested with the Chinese factory in tooling which is why their versions are different from the others in the greater use of cast iron for the band wheels and fence assembly. They actually told me that in response to a direct question about the origins and the chap telling me was credible and senior too so I'm inclined to believe it.

Hi Bob nd Rodders
Thank you for the input. Yes I have looked at the Yandles version, but I don't like the way the back of the blade could come in contact with the side rim of the bearing, its not a the way the bearing was designed to take any pressure. Bought the saw from Bedford
and the bearing conversion they are hoping to get can not be adapted for the BS350. :(
The Carter setup has taken this into consideration. Just got to make up a block to compensate for the 12mm offset for the track of the blade from the centre of the post. Oh and find a way to escape import duties :wink: :wink:

Richard

Well that's how the better guides and thrust bearings are set up.
Once you have the set up, the bearing will be quite cheap to replace anyway, as they can wear according to how hard a life the set up has.
Regards Rodders

I recall Alexam posted here a few months ago about Carter bearings he got for his 400 Record band-saw.

John

I believe the Carter bearing set for the Rikon Bandsaw also fits the Record Power range. You're right about the orientation of some bearings, they only fit them that way because it's easier to make!

The Carter guide Alexam got was the single bearing " Stabilizer" for 1/8" - 1/4" blades.

Look familiar?
BS.JPG

Attachments

• BS.JPG
    BS.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 314
A suitable Carter after market guide for the BS350 probably looks similar to the one I made for my BS300E.

IMGP3936_zpsd808db3b.jpg

Hi Woodpig

What a super modification you made there. Although its hard to see in the picture, how do you adjust the front 4 bearings to align just behind the gullet of different width blades?

Were the blocks manufactured from light alloy?

Best wishes
Richard

The whole assembly move backwards or forwards on the mounting rod for adjustment. Yes, it's made from aluminium alloy.

IMGP3933_zps2a268131.jpg

Hi Woodpig - I'm planning to get my first bandsaw - your guides look great - inspires me to make the same when I get the machine (probably a Record BS350). Thanks for that.

Glad to be of help. Give the BS350 a good try with the standard guides first though, you may find them ok.
I've seen several new machines with guides like the Carter ones so they're becoming more popular and I certainly find mine much easier to adjust. I bought a Bondhus long series ball end hex driver (one of several I use in my workshop) which makes adjustment quick and easy.

The photo looks exactly the same as the guides beneath the table of my BS500. This is a good system for use over the table but very iffy below it. In my case a small piece of off cut material went through the table insert and dropped between the bearings, the result was a shattered alloy casting that the bearing were mounted on. The machine had a five year guarantee and the replacement bit arrived very swiftly. The table tilt quadrant was also made of pressed steel and failed very early on. Again the replacement part arrived quickly and proved to be engineered on a sensible scale.
The starter switch was also replaced twice during the five years. My best advice is to keep the paperwork handy you may need to claim on the warranty. In short the design of mine was less that great but the after sales service was brilliant.

Back