Recommendations for a detail sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people,
Real simple, what would your recommendations be for a 'detail' sander? something like the Black and Decker Mouse - but a bit more sturdy.

I like the idea of something of the size of the mouse, dust port, velcro pads but its coming up to me buying my 3rd one! I suppose you could argue that at £20 a pop it isn't so bad considering the abuse it gets (anything from wood / paint / filler dust) but if there is something that would last longer, now would be the time to invest rather than keep going with the mouse. As with everything thats starts of ok, they have tried to do too much and have interchangeable 'velcro' tips on the newer ones which are a complete waste of space! (they fall off after a while or don't sit properly and subsequently leave grooves in the wood!)

Typically these things start to fail with real excessive vibration on its 'foot' - the racket they generate when wearing out is phenomenal!

Over to your wisdom :)

Well, if this is the kind of thing you're after, I've got the Bosch GBA 280E. It is a bit noisy but, I find it very comfortable to hold and it it's great for getting in to tight corners. :)

Wayne

Have you considered the fein multimaster? It is expensive, but is so versatile, and works well as a sander IMO. I bought mine before the big hoo-hah about them, so mine is quite old now, but it is still going strong.
I have a smaller detail sander (a cheapo thing with the triangular sheets, slightly larger than the multimasters sheets) and the fein tops it without a doubt.

The answer is, if you haven't already, try one. If I am going to buy a NEW tool, rather than second hand, I expect to be able to give one a go. My local tool-shop humours me here!!

HTH

Neil

Wayne
I would also recommend the fein,mine's done 13 years of hard work
Expensive to buy but cheap to run
Matt

Hi guys,
thanks for that - I've found this reference on axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=603779 I take it this is the one. :?:

Looks like this thing isn't just a sander :!: :) do you use this as a two handed tool - looks a bit big to be one handed? Looking at the Bosch - that seems to be a similar shape as well but I guess without all the attachments.

Must admit - I've not come across Fein - I would guess the build quality is 'up there' as such?

Cheers all
Wayne.

Hello PW

Yeah, that is the one. It is a one handed tool, a little bit smaller than an angle grinder. It has just too many uses to list, but the most amazing thing it does for me is cut out the mortices for attaching rails to newel posts. It really is such a versatile tool, and performs very well as a detail sander. Very well made, you should not have any trouble with longevity, and whilst it is expensive in the first place it really is well worth the money.

When explaining what it is I always say it is like an oscillating angle grinder. It moves back and forth very quick. It works better than you think it will actually.

What you should do is give one a go and see what you think. IMO they are great.

HTH

Neil

While I agree that the Fein is a brilliant bit of kit and has got me out of many holes, I was completely underwhelmed by it's sander attachment. So much so that if you do decide to go down the Fein route then you can buy my sander attachment at a bargain price!

By detail sander, do you actually mean a detail sander that will sand mouldings etc or just a small flat palm sander...like the one's you've been currently using (and wearing out !! :wink: ).

If the former then Porter Cable used to do one and it is a nice bit of kit. I know that Tony (the Mod) had one of these.

Fein have accessories for "finger sanding etc.You can check them out on the Fein /Axminster sites.

mack9110000":ke1f5sc5 said:
Fein have accessories for "finger sanding etc.You can check them out on the Fein /Axminster sites.

But they're not very good IMO. The fixing of the abrasive is not very good. The Porter Cable is much better.

Mmm more food for thought,

I've not seen the Porter Cable - don't suppose you have a url please?

If, at this point I were to be looking at a new tool to fit the job - then sanding would be the first point of call rather than a 'fits everything' (but after looking at the Fein site - its impressively flexible piece of kit - and not crossed off the list yet and would be a useful addition to the kit list :lol:)

The mouse I use can have anything from 80 grit to 240 grit on it. Mainly used for, as you say Roger, as a palm sander rather than mouldings :oops:.

I was hopeful that there was something that didn't give up the ghost as easily as the B&D :? .

Cheers
Wayne.

Wayne - you're original premise is the best, I think, as far as palm sanders go. I've had a B&D die through relatively little use. Then bought the Bosch Li-Ion which also eventually died. Now on the second Bosch (as SWMBO uses it mainly and likes the fit in her hand ).

Sorry, don;t have a URL for the Porter Cable. Their main website doesn't seem to list it.

As a detail sander, the Fein is fantastic, apart from its appetite for backing pads. I agree that the profile sanding attachment isn't great - it's grip on the sheets isn't up to it.

I believe if you lower the speed when sanding,the pads stand up much better,as it's caused by overheating.Same with the finger sanding accessories.

Back