Recommendation for a simple PVR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":1llc19ss said:
nev":1llc19ss said:
Seconded for petes suggestion.
the vcr can record a telly signal from the aerial/ built in tuner or a signal fed into the scart skt. looks like the vcr is set to record AV2 (which is the signal coming from the telly). Change the channel on the vcr to say bbc1 and try it then.

Will get No. One Son onto it at the weekend. He's already had one go, but if I show him your post, it might give him another clue. (One of those clues, wot I don't not got!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Nev.

:D

If you are using a HDMI cable it will be AV 4 or 5.

If you are using Scart cable it will be AV 1 0r 2.

If you set it to TV it will only pick up from the outside aerial and you have daisy chained it.

Pete and DW are spot on. Your machine will have either single or twin built in decoders and needs to record direct through the ariel signal or it will do exactly what you describe is happening.

Bob

RogerS":2n0bpjux said:
You've got my interest piqued, John. What are the model numbers? No guarantee I will find a manual online. Ruddy manufacturers seem to take great delight in removing older manuals from their websites.. :evil: .
EDIT: Pete may have cracked it, though!

Manuals / instructions - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/P ... kInfo=true

Might be something to do with the viera link up with your tv as well?

It looks a decent bit of kit!

Bob

Roger,

I still haven't cracked it, even with the manual. (I never throw them away, not even woodwork machine manuals!)

I've tried all the AV channels, but nothing seems to work. I am beginning to think there's something amiss in the recorder. I switch on the TV ok.
Then when the recorder is switched on I get a 'HELLO' in the read out panel, (that stays for a full minute before the thing actually switches on). When it does kick in, immediately the TV screen goes blank. I then have to select the channels via the recorder. If I switch off the recorder, the whole lot goes off. (After a minute of 'PLEASE WAIT' in the display.) If I switch off the TV the recorder either switches off, or if recording, carries on, but records only a blank channel, from the point I switched off the TV.

Despite having pored over the manual until I am blue in the face!

I'm bringing in 'The man'! :D

Benchwayze":3kefjmqt said:
Roger,

I still haven't cracked it, even with the manual. (I never throw them away, not even woodwork machine manuals!)

I've tried all the AV channels, but nothing seems to work. I am beginning to think there's something amiss in the recorder. I switch on the TV ok.
Then when the recorder is switched on I get a 'HELLO' in the read out panel, (that stays for a full minute before the thing actually switches on). When it does kick in, immediately the TV screen goes blank. I then have to select the channels via the recorder. If I switch off the recorder, the whole lot goes off. (After a minute of 'PLEASE WAIT' in the display.) If I switch off the TV the recorder either switches off, or if recording, carries on, but records only a blank channel, from the point I switched off the TV.

Despite having pored over the manual until I am blue in the face!

I'm bringing in 'The man'! :D

Have you gone digital and only have a analogue recorder? what recorder make and model do you have?

Woody,

It's a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder DMR-EZ49VEB (I can convert VHS to DVD,, which is why I bought that model. I have VHS tapes I don't want to dispose of.)

I bought it coupled with a Panasonic 32" TV LCD with HDMI etc, etc.

A new package for the 'digital age', fully digitised and bought just before the big switch-over.

It was working fine at the start. I was able to operate both separately, and set the recorder to record whatever channel I chose. (This was AFTER the service went fully digital.) Only in the past few weeks did it go 'ape', out of the blue, and now won't record anything other than the programme showing on the TV screen; plus the TV MUST be left switched on too, or the recorder records a blank channel.

Therein is the problem. It's either tuning that has been loused up, or there's a fault. I am currently seeking pro advice, to see whether or not I can use the guarantee to get it fixed if necessary.
Cheers!

If it is not a fault, and all connections are tight and as they were when all was working, logically it can only be down to the settings on the tv, the vcr, or both.
reading through the instructions http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Z7hoWpOI5w
first thing to check.....

EXT LINK needs to be turned off (page 31) this affects what goes in/out of the scart leads.
I will keep reading and see if anything else catches my eye.

edit:
On page 85 - the HDAVI control may reset itself during a power out or disconnect! reset using instructions on this page.

If all else fails reset both vcr and tv to 'shipping condition'. this should put all settings back to how the were when they arrived.
(page 82)

hth

Something like this could happen if the TV aerial lead has got plugged into the TV, it should go first to the recorder, then the scart or hdmi lead supplies the tv.

Personal video recorder.

Mine connects to the internet as well, sometimes.

Last night I wanted to use iplayer and I could not get an internet connection, just like the bad old days of internet, I reckon there were too many people on line perhaps. ( internet on computer was OK)

Meanwhile back on topic today took down the Humax to the Horrible Hobbit aka The Mother. Disaster. She still has her marbles but as her nickname is M3M. Mean,miserable, malevolent mother she refused to welcome it with open arms. Somedays you wonder why you bother.

Two hours later.

You know you've lost a battle when,having explained time shifting and you start watching Vera at 8.15 (from a recording that started at 8 )she says....."oh it's only just started, they must be running late".

You know you've lost the war when she turns over the remote control to see if there might be any buttons underneath

Back