Recommend me a worktop cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mseries

Established Member
Reaction score
I will soon need to do some worktops, I have 2 masons mitres to cut, apertures for sink and hob and trim to size cuts. I have a 1/2" router that's up to the job, jig and bushing but I am wondering what brand cutters to choose. Should I shell out on a Trend Pro one ? Should I use a new cutter for each mitre ? Would Trend Craft Pro ones be good enough for this ?

If you have a Howdens near by they sell cheap trend ones. I use a new one for every job . I get them for about £8

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

The CMT 50mm replaceable tipped cutter is a great bit of kit. It's similar to the Trend RT/13 but I find it has a stronger body, the tips are easy to locate with it having a groove down the back and with it not having holes through the tip there's less chance of them breaking when tightening. Plus the body and tips are cheaper

Before I got a p/t, I had a Wealden 75mm extra-long cutter, to use the router table as a planer. It wouldn't die, and I still use it occasionally (bit scary handheld though). Very sharp, very good quality. I've also had good use out of Freud (also wickedly sharp when new), Axminster less so but not as expensive as Freud or Wealden.

Assuming these are standard laminate tops, it's worth varying the cutter height if you can between cuts, as they get notched/dulled-off by the melamine fairly fast in my small experience.

Desert island choice: Wealden.

E.

PS: The Wealden ones come with a third blade on the end for cleaner/easier plunging. It works, and I think other manufacturers are starting to copy the idea.

Latest posts

Back