Reciprocating Saw - anyone use one/own one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have nine 3" square fence posts to cut (already in the ground). Would normally do this by hand; however, it's always a pain cutting posts that are in the ground. Was wondering whether a reciprocating saw may be the answer? Noticed that Axminster do their own for £44.

Any thoughts?

Have one,don't use it very often (generally for sawing stuff up to get it in the car to take it to the tip) and haven't tried it on anything fence-post sized.
However,it's still quite a handy tool;but,like most saws,it will benefit from a blade-change! Got some Bosch ones for mine off e-bay,and the performance increase was amazing.

Andrew

I've been using a Hilti recipro for about 3 years now - for fence posts, cutting-out joinery, demolition work and other things. It's even done window cut-outs in blockwork (Bosch TCT blades) without the need to hire a builder's unicycle (Stihlsaw). Brilliant piece of kit especially when combined with the deWalt bimetallic demolition blades. Does the one you are looking at have an orbital action and variable depth of cut? (i.e. the shoe pulls out to reduce the blade cut depth)

Scrit

I've used a B&Q one that cost about £25 for the past couple of years. I use it to cut logs and stuff.

The largest cut was through the length of a 220mm thick oak gate post about 1.5m long. Took a while, but did the job and still works great.

I use one for cutting out timbers in a loft conversion to get them out the way . So it sounds ideal for cutting ends your not going to see .
Cutting out Joinery Scrit ? I know your in production but really doing dovetails with a recipro is going too far :lol:

JFC":3iyyy05b said:
Cutting out Joinery Scrit ? I know your in production but really doing dovetails with a recipro is going too far :lol:
Actually to cut-out door frames, stair stringers, kitchen worktops and carcasses when the need arises (hence the need for depth of cut adjustment), etc when they are being ripped out........... :lol:

But you've given me an idea :idea: - reckon I'll get a E-cut blade to go in this so and so? :wink:

I've have the Bosch version and use it occasionally BUT when I do use it, it's the only tool for the job.

For example, slipping a metal cutting blade down the gap between very old oak door frames and oak beams and slicing through those rusty old nails with minimal damage to either frame or beam.

Invaluable.

Back