Recently acquired Vicmarc VM120 chuck confusion (Swap?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nrees21

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday i acquired a VM120 chuck off of my friend who had it left from his late fathers workshop. I thought it just needed an insert for my lathe but after a bit more research it is the m33 one and the insert one is threaded at m45. I'm guessing that is my plan scuppered? If it is i would be willing to swap for a insert version of the smaller VM100 if anyone was up for it or maybe consider a rp4000 threaded 3/4x16. cheers, Nick

You could try this:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chuck-Adaptor-M33-x-3.5-mm-outer---3-3--x-16-TPI-Inner.html

The text is a little confusing, but you could check with them first to make sure it is actually a 3/4 x 16 inner thread.

EDIT:
I have been thinking about this and I think this adaptor may not be very suitable for use with the vicmarc chuck after all.
The vicmarc M33 chucks have an extended body design at the back with a groove to suit their chuck locking collar. The last 15mm (approx) of this extension is unthreaded and would probably prevent the Chronos insert from engaging fully on the threads. I think you would get some engagement looking at the picture on the Chronos website, but I think it would be limited.
Up to you if you want to try it, but thought I should mention it.

I do have a 3/4 x 16 compatible chuck available for a possible swap, but not a Vicmarc I'm afraid. I will PM you details.

I have just acquired an RP4000 so in no need for a swap now, i will reply to PMs now as i didn't notice until now that i had some. May consider selling it now but unsure of its worth. Or do i hold on to it for if i upgrade my lathe in the future. Also would consider swap on Robert Sorby Chisels

Back