recent turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Established Member
Reaction score
vase1.jpg
plantpot.jpg

not been on the forum for a while(too busy in the shed)
been turning for about three months now and although it has been a up hill struggle i can quite honistly say i have got there in the end.
still struggling a little bit with the finishing, but hopefully in the next three months or so i should get better at it.
dont really know what to call two of the items i have done as i just got stuck in and see what would come out.
anyway the goblet type thing is seven inches tall with the end grain hollowed out and the other is five inches tall with a little detail on it..
finally a plant pot six inches tall.
i have now got multiple orders for plant pots from friends and neighbours
so looks like i will be extra busy for a while.
regards
david.

Quite agree - turnings are all nice,the plantpot idea looks great,like the beaker :D
Finishing is a bit of a black art in itself;there is such an array of options to choose from.I use different finishes depending on the timber and it's intended use - but most of the time,there is very little to beat sanding sealer and wax.

Andrew

hi allen
yes you are more than welcome to post comments on my work
as i said earlier i have only been turning for three months or so and would welcome comments good or bad.
best regards
david.

david":2eqf3seh said:
hi allen
yes you are more than welcome to post comments on my work
as i said earlier i have only been turning for three months or so and would welcome comments good or bad.
best regards
david.

Thanks for that David , From what I can see it looks like you may be trying to run before you can walk ? The first light wood bowl is far to busy for a starter bowl , to conflicting with all that's going on , but I must say it does look like you are coping well with the tool control , My advice , or should I say someone who gave me some advice was to sit down and draw the shape you want , then you have a goal to aim for ,Try to get the proportions correct with a nice subtle shape ? , When I turned my first few items I ended up with something I did not design , just worked around my mistakes , and yes I did have some .

I do like the idea of the wooden flower pot and the design is more simple and pleasing to the eye , Is the base a separate part ? and I would be very interested to see how the wood / finish stands up in use , so please keep me informed , as this is something I would like to try myself .

All the best with your work , and please don't think I am having a go ! as I am only offering my thoughts

Regards

Allen

Whilst I would agree with Allen that the first one is too 'busy' I have never drawn anything yet and tend to design as I am going along, possibly because I am totally undisciplined and also use wood that as often as not does it's own thing.

At the end of the day you will never be happy with anything you make for long, you will always look back and see how you could have done it better.

If you want to get advice, opinions etc. put your turnings up as critiques and some of the experts on here will come on board with design and technique ideas,.

You're doing better than a lot of us did in our first attempts so keep posting.

Pete

Hi David
There are, essentially, two elements in turning:
Execution... being able to work the wood to your desired shape; you don't appear to have any problems there :wink:

Design... a whole can of worms as everyone has their own opinion! Whether you plan the piece as suggested by Allen or allow it to develop freely as Pete does (my preference) is a matter of your personal choice.

My best advice to learners is to broaden your perception of 'design' ...look at any and all cylindrical objects (turned or not), touch them if you can! Incorporate those design elements that please you into your turnings.

I sent this via pm to another forum member, it's my method of achieving a satisfactory finish, again, everyone has their own preferences:

Go through the usual grits down to 240 or 400 and then use wet'n'dry 1200 grade allowing the paper to clog a little but not burn..

you'll find it burnishes the surface allowing you to see the smaller marks not usually visible until you put the finish on...

When you're satisfied apply 50/50 diluted melamine or sanding sealer, polish off with *kitchen paper until the shine appears, carefully inspect the surface and de-nib as necessary.
Apply a good wax finish sparingly, polish off and stand back and admire... it's OK to smile at this point
:lol:
*use only on smooth surfaces

I find that Chestnut products give consistently pleasing results.

oldsoke":2zdiay5c said:
*kitchen paper until the shine appears, carefully inspect the surface and de-nib as necessary.
Apply a good wax finish sparingly, polish off and stand back and admire... it's OK to smile at this point[/i] :lol:
*use only on smooth surfaces

For rough surfaces and edges I use a soft shoe brush with the piece turning slowly. Much easier on the fingers and finger nails. Alternatively do it with the piece stationary, safer still.

Pete

thankyou all for the comments.
i know i am going to fast for a newbie but i am really enjoying my self
at the spinny machine,
thanks also for the advice on finishes as i never even dreamt of using wet n dry (definatly try that one)
hardest i have done so far is to get a log twelve inches tall by eight inches thick and hollow it out,
luckily it was more or less in balance,
it is now on display outside with daffodils in it,
can anyone offer any advice regarding the bark ie= do you think it will fall off in time even with moist soil in it or should i spray it with polyeurathane
varnish or any other method,
shall post a pic tomorrow of it,
once again thankyou for all your comments
best regards
david.

hey i have been advised to come and blog on the woodturning forum as i would get alot of help and advice along by hints and tips. i have been turning since i was very young around 11 years of age and i am now coming up 16 years of age.

i hope you carry on doing the turning as it is a great thing to get into i really like the plant pot it is a craking idea

chris lee :lol:

Hi David

The others have given you some useful suggestions re turning. I particularly agree with Graham (oldsoke) about the separation between execution and design.
My turning process tends to follow Allen's suggestion of designing first on paper. I'd suggest that you try this method (not necessarily exclusively) whilst starting out as I feel that it will help you learn better tool control - you are trying to impose your shape on the wood and to do that you need to be able to make the tool do what you want.
Once you've been doing this a while you should be more able to see what shapes go well together and what proportions 'work'. At that point you will be more capable of turning without designing.

Another advantage of designing on paper is that judging a shape on the lathe is notoriously difficult as you have the lathe, chuck, background etc cluttering your view. And the piece looks different when it's on it's side.

When starting out it's a good idea to stick to quite bland woods because, as well as being usually easier to turn and finish, you will not be distracted by grain and colour and you will be able to concentrate more on the turning and getting the shape right - an ugly turning in a beautiful wood is still an ugly turning!

If you haven't done so already I'd suggest that you try to get to a local club to see some demonstrations as they sometimes cover design.

Also check out art galleries as they sometimes have ceramics and glass exhibitions and there is definite cross-over potential shape-wise. (I'm lucky to have a gallery close by that regularly has glass/ceramics and several woodturnings - http://www.thebiscuitfactory.com/)

Hope this helps

Duncan

Latest posts

Back