Real life tool shop Somerset

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anima

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking around at the moment for some odds and ends. Whilst there is a plethora of appropriate shops online I'd quite like to see and touch some of the products.

In particular:
Chisels: Japanese, bevel, butt, dovetail.
Cabinetry finishes: shellacs, lacquers, French polishing.
No4/no5 plane: I picked mine up a while ago from a carboot and I'm now fed up with its limitations. Time to upgrade. I'm thinking QS.

I don't have a lathe for handles and to be honest I'd rather not have to 'work on' a tool so want it to be right from the start.

My question is: is there anywhere I can go near BA4 (Shepton Mallet) that isn't a b+q or TP where I can do a bit of touchy feely on the above products. I'd also appreciate speaking to a human. I'm trying to avoid driving to Axminster.

Cheers.

Bristol Design
shop_dsb2066b.jpg

Yandles... Ill have a look.

I heard design in Bristol was quite expensive...although that I may be thinking of somewhere else. It does look perfect for a bit of feeling though.

Bristol Design is great. Yandles is very good also and not as far as Axminster. Then again, if you go to Axminster, it's just a little bit further to go to the Tool Box. Or you could come around to my place in Frome for a coffee and look at what I have in my tiny shed (QS rebate block plane, No. 4, BU No. 5 and No. 7, LN LA block, Clifron 3110, Narex b/e and mortice chisels, Veritas router, etc. ). I don't have much in the way of finishes and only one Japanese item (a pull saw).

Somerset isn't the end of the world for tool shops as you can see.

Alternatively you can order stuff, have a look and then send it back if you don't like it, there's no rush (we don't do the 'has to be sent back within seven days' bullsh*t).

Fromey,

Thanks very much for the kind offer, I might just take you up on it next weekend. I'm looking at narex bevel chisels and a QS no5 so it would be good to have a go.

Martin

Latest posts

Back