Re shaping bowl gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mornin' Harry.

Welcome to the forum.

Re-grinding bowl gouges, yes, all the time. I only buy standard blades as they are a bit cheaper than the long grind ones, and also as I prefer to put my own shape on the tip.

One thing I will say is that using a long grind is not as easy as some think. It does take a bit of practice, using a standard grind is easy in comparison.

If you wish to try it on one of your tools, there is a good description HERE you can have a look at. It describes most grinds on turning tools, and how to achieve them.

Plan HERE but there are easier built jigs around, just do a search.

Yeah, an Irish grind can make for a versatile tool. Eg. Ellsworth says his 5/8 Signature gouge is all you need to do a bowl. If you can lay your hands on his DVD you'll find it a useful intro to the range of tool presentations and their uses.

rsser":25b3f050 said:
.... Eg. Ellsworth says his 5/8 Signature gouge is all you need to do a bowl. .....

And can also be a very easy way to introduce a new turner to regular bad catches without a complete understanding of bevel contact and rotational forces on the tool.

What is rarely indicated is that the choice of wood, grain orientation, dryness etc. are things that with time lead you to choose a differing tool, grind or angle of approach, there's nothing like the developing complacency of automatically picking up the same tool and getting it wrong to bring this home rather forcibly.

A good thing about the Ellsworth Sig gouge is that it comes with instructions on tool presentation which I've not seen with any other turning gouge or chisel.

As for getting catches, yeah, it's part of learning any tool. In teaching others bowl turning I've found they get fewer with ground back wings. None have ever thought of shear scraping on the wings.

I have found Jimmy Clewes DVD's very good for gouge bevels and presentation, particularly in shear scraping.

John. B

Back