Re painting my planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardwood66

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a range of record and bailey planes that I want to give some love because they look after me so.
The question is do I repaint them record blue and bailey black or should I go wild and paint them orange??

Russ

Hardwood66":3qx8b92z said:
I have a range of record and bailey planes that I want to give some love because they look after me so.
The question is do I repaint them record blue and bailey black or should I go wild and paint them orange??

Russ

Someone around this neck of the woods painted their planes with Hi-Heat matt black paint...and I can't for the life of me remember who it was but they looked the dog's dangly bits. :wink:

You don't have to go down the blue/black route but if you do...well...that's another can of worms right there!

I use HAMMERITE DARK BLUE for the Record Roundel Blue because it is closer to the original than the current "original" and for black I usually go for cold Japanning which is asphaltum mixed with yacht varnish and then leave it in the outback for a few days to get cooked....alternatively stand on a radiator (THIS METHODS CARRIES A MATRIMONIAL HEALTH WARNING!) :mrgreen:

Just do a search on RECORD or STANLEY restoration on this forum or GOOGLE and you will find loads of information on technique.

The only rule is that you photograph the restorations....especially if you choose orange!

Cheers

Jimi

In view of his recent posts I'm surprised Jimi didn't suggest you veneer them - perhaps Beech sides and with Lignum Vitae on the soles :wink:

You've spent years making them look old and broken-in and now you want to make them look as if they just arrived from the shop! Oh well, each to his own. But orange, really? I'd have thought the only reason to do that would be to identify them as yours if you were taking them out on site somewhere that they might get 'borrowed' in which case it might work by making them look so nasty no-one else would want them.
If your aim is to prevent rust, I suggest using some thinned down boiled linseed oil brushed on over the remaining paint, left for an hour and any surplus wiped off with rags. It makes a good thin coating. (Also good on sash cramps to prevent rust spots from water based glue.)

Hardwood66":4od7y0db said:
Howse this look then...
MarcouRecord4ss8.jpg
MarcouRecord4ss3.jpg

Not one of mine BTW, this was listed over here a couple of years ago.

At the time I was horrified that the seller hadn't used a dark blue :shock: , but it's kind of grown on me since 8)

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• MarcouRecord4ss8.jpg
    MarcouRecord4ss8.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • MarcouRecord4ss3.jpg
    MarcouRecord4ss3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,061
I like the reddy brown, but there is some nice matalic blue spray on amazon that's on offer ATM so I think I'll buy that

AndyT":2ylpsamo said:
If your aim is to prevent rust, I suggest using some thinned down boiled linseed oil brushed on over the remaining paint, left for an hour and any surplus wiped off with rags. It makes a good thin coating. (Also good on sash cramps to prevent rust spots from water based glue.)

What do you thin it down with, turps, white spirit, thinners or something else?

katellwood":1ad7k8bu said:
AndyT":1ad7k8bu said:

What do you thin it down with, turps, white spirit, thinners or something else?

I use White Spirit

Back