Re-finishing Hammond C3 and Leslie cabinet...HELP!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonewheelkev

Reaction score
Hi folks
....am really excited with this project....my chance to own a superbly finished Hammond Organ and Leslie combo!!

Have stripped everything back to wood.....mainly block-board construction with walnut veneer outer layer.

Some wounding to both cabinets....edges and flat surfaces. Have filled with a minimal amount of Morrells 'easystain dark' filler. I like the idea of an Oil finish.....American Bretheren favour Tung Oil!

Have bought some Morrells Eze-oil....want something easy to apply, and repairable when wounded.

Now realise that a solid colour...say BLACK...may be the way forward, as this will obliterate the 'filled' areas (corners/edges...)
Is there such a stain...SOLID BLACK that is...or must I go the 'painted' route??

What will work well under the Eze-oil?
What about grain fillers?

Any advice gratefully received!! :D

if it's walnut why stain it? Walnut is a lovely colour.

It'd be nice to see some pictures, does the Leslie work?

Oryxdesign":152w089v said:
if it's walnut why stain it? ..........

....too light....filled areas/blemishes too easily seen

Oryxdesign":152w089v said:
....It'd be nice to see some pictures,
does the Leslie work?

It all worked before I stripped it.... :lol:

Will sort out some pics when I can........

what about black french polish- it would give a piano black and cover everything.

marcros":cpeoqbkd said:
what about black french polish- it would give a piano black and cover everything.

......that sounds great....but I haven't got that skill!!..... :cry:

Liked the idea of an oiled finish....because it's an easier application

hi, you seem a little all over the place and what's worse you're another kev. putting this aside why don't you try the method I've put up as "how to polish" as that's why I put it up. Stained dark brown the filler won't notice. Couple of coats of clear sanding sealer and wax. Easy to repair again, the hammond will look beautiful and you'll want to sit playing it. Rock on. Kev.

Ps. you might like the channel .... http://www.youtube.com/user/kdwyermedia

marcros":3o0iqznz said:

It won't cover the reported "wounds", it would show them up more!

BugBear

bugbear":25btzhwt said:
.........It won't cover the reported "wounds", it would show them up more!
BugBear

.....Is there a correct path then...?

Perhaps repair the wounding by letting in selected bits of veneer...?

tonewheelkev":xxw4oiw5 said:
bugbear":xxw4oiw5 said:
.........It won't cover the reported "wounds", it would show them up more!
BugBear

.....Is there a correct path then...?

Perhaps repair the wounding by letting in selected bits of veneer...?

Well, owners of Fender and Gibson guitars wouldn't dream of covering up signs of honourable use, so I don't wee why a Hammond/Leslie owner would.

Personally, I would tend toward repairing structural damage, and using a matt or satin finish to protect the case, whilst not emphasising cosmetic damage.

Matt or satin finishes would include oils, stains, and either varnishes with "grit" in (usually silica) or a gloss varnish with the final coat cut back
with abrasive (wire wool, fibrax...)

A gloss black finish would be the opposite of this...

BugBear (C3 + L122 owner)

Well, owners of Fender and Gibson guitars wouldn't dream of covering up signs of honourable use, so I don't wee why a Hammond/Leslie owner would........

................. BugBear (C3 + L122 owner)

Aaaahhh.....I've got Fenders/Gibsons/etc....too!!!

....but all without signs of honourable use :D

BTW....I also have the 'guts' from an A100....and hope to re-house them in a suitable case
...........but that's another project :)

PS....the Leslie is a 122RV

ebonised finish (ie solid black) is one of themost unforgiving finishes ever if the prep and the actual job is not spot on.

can you stick up a photo of the item?

Hoping to do the 'silk purse from a Sow's ear' thing :D

Pics showing some typical blemishes.

The Leslie is remarkably un-scarred by comparison!

Attachments

• DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0533.JPG
    DSCN0533.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0534.JPG
    DSCN0534.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0530.JPG
    DSCN0530.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 469
thanks for the pics - cant offer any advice if you are diying as its a typcial sod of a job to get this sort of thing looking nice. A skilled finisher would be able to make it look lovely though........

thats like asking for step by step instructions on how to spray a car whereby if you get one of the steps (materials or techinques) wrong, the result is rubbish :wink: You cannot give step by step instructions on how to finish something to a high standard without at least seeing the item first which is why when posts like this come up, everything grinds to a halt :)

Latest posts

Back