Rats....and how to get rid of them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
It's time for the winter influx into the loft and the battle lines are drawn up again. However, this year, there seem to be more of them plus they've migrated down to infest the floorspace between ground and first floor chewing through a lighting cable in the process.

I can't find out how they get in and so need to engage them on my home territory. The trouble is that (a) we have a very low pitched roof with about 3 ft (if that) headroom between the roof apex and the top of the ceiling joists. Copious amounts of loft insulation means that they tend to scurry around underneath. I've put up about 5kg of poison in both roofs (double gable) but because there is no obvious 'run' the usual suggestions of baiting the runs don't apply.

They also have a tendency to cover any bait boxes with ripped-up loft insulation. I like to think that that is becuse they want to hide the food from other rats. Those of a more paranoid nature might believe that they do this to keep the poisoned rat bait away from their kin.

We do know that the rat poison works because every now and then we get 'essence of dead rat' permeating the house.

Question - if I pay to get the council ratman in, is he going to do anything more other than what I've done already?

Is there anything else that I can do?

You could certainly make one Jack Russell very happy!
Would a rat catcher be better? probably not. Personally I prefer traps, no smell!

Roy.

RogerS,

A friend with a similar problem used a sonic device which emitted very high frequency sounds....obviously you need to be pet free. That combined with rat poison was fairly effective.

regards
Alan

beech1948":3b7dcsis said:
RogerS,

A friend with a similar problem used a sonic device which emitted very high frequency sounds....obviously you need to be pet free. That combined with rat poison was fairly effective.

regards
Alan

Ahah..I'd heard about that and it's good to get a recommendation. Don't suppose you know the model? Bit of a ongshot, I know!

Untypically, I watched a bit of that jungle celebrity nonsense last night and they were all tucking into a rat risotto. Even the women declared it very tasty!

You could have a valuable food source there, right above your bedroom ceiling, Rog!

:wink:

Brad

beech1948":1yv4ouao said:
RogerS,

regards
Alan

I had two of the sonic devices... They were useless, rat poison creates a problem if they die under the floor boards or roofspace...you can't beat a good old trap or a Jack Russell.

We had a fouine (stone marten) in our loft in France and the owner of a very perky little Jack Russell wouldn't let it into the loft because they end up getting into places they can't get out of, he said. It was certainly a daft dog.

Our next-door neighbour offered us an egg poisoned with cyanide to get rid of it (his uncle is the president of the local hunters and this is the way it is done there) but the thing managed to die (and stink) without any help from us. Pretty creatures, but a nightmare when they rubbish everywhere. Think hot fox droppings and you get some idea...

We had a similar problem to Rog's, and with a similar shallow roof making things difficult. Like Rog we simply could not find out how they were gaining entry. In the end I meshed all possible entries and put traps down.

Roy.

Digit":vbdidsbc said:
We had a similar problem to Rog's, and with a similar shallow roof making things difficult. Like Rog we simply could not find out how they were gaining entry. In the end I meshed all possible entries and put traps down.

Roy.

Did it work?

Yep! We simply never located the point of entry. I tried checking for tracks, (Rats and Mice tend to stick to the outer edges of places rather than crossing open spaces) I looked for traces of fur at possible entry points, polishing of edges from frequent passage through narrow gaps, in fact the whole works. Eventually I used three mill galvanised mesh, (to maintain air circulation) and it worked, and it kept the bloody Wasps out as well.

Roy.

Apparently wire wool works well if you stuff it into holes and entry points and then secure it. They don't try to chew through it. Can't imagine why.

Rog

IR cameras are cheap enough - stick on into the loft and there's enough software about (windows admittedly) that will record to disk on movement. Be one way (and cheap) of figuring out how they gain entry.

Dibs.

Brother-in-law is an area manager for Rentokil and advised us not to bother using a pro to lay poison but did recommend getting poison from a farm supplies shop (or similar) to ensure we got an effective poison rather than the lame stuff sold in regular shops.

I too have heard wire wool works for blocking entrances. Makes their teeth jangle if they try to chew through it apparently. One for Mythbusters...

I've ordered a couple of combined sonic/electromagnetic thingummies which come with a 60 day guarantee. So...watch this space. We do have a false external wall and it's possible that, as there is an air gap along the bottom, that that's where they are coming in. I was scratching my head as to how to block it up but wire wool is definitely worth a try as it will still let air through.

Back