Random Orbital Sander do I need one, if so which.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Belt sander and a 1/2 plate old Black and Decker Professional which does a good job. The latter has a jig to punch holes for dust extraction and clips on the sander to hold the abrasive, it is a little more trouble to change grits than the velcro loop systems.

Would I find a random orbital sander a really useful addition and if so should it be a 150mm or smaller? I have never used one of these only the none orbital type which I did not get on well with for finishing due to swirl marks. The Matabo SXE450 turbotec seems to figure in many posts is it still considered one of the best or has it been superseded?

You can't use Abranet on a belt sander. However, it's a superb choice if you decide to go for the Metabo 450 TurboTec. A very good buy IMO, I wouldn't be without mine. My two 1/4 sheet orbital sanders havn't seen the light of day since getting the Metabo a couple of years ago.

Abranet have a 100 x 610mm for belt sanders I think it is a new product you can find it at http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/abrasives_and_steel_wool.html I had a look at a sample at Restexpress so it may come in smaller sizes soon. Not sure how much additional wear might be inflicted on the sander.

Good to hear your comments regarding the Matabo 450 TurboTec sander, does it tend to replace the belt sander as well?

harvestbarn":2psl00m8 said:
Abranet have a 100 x 610mm for belt sanders I think it is a new product you can find it at http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/abrasives_and_steel_wool.html I had a look at a sample at Restexpress so it may come in smaller sizes soon. Not sure how much additional wear might be inflicted on the sander.

Good to hear your comments regarding the Matabo 450 TurboTec sander, does it tend to replace the belt sander as well?

I've got a 450 SXE and a Rotex 150, neither of them touches the belt sander for material removal.

Get any one of the Mirka ROS sanders. Air or electric, you choose.
You won't be disappointed.

I am sure they are a great machine but regret the electric Mirka ROS sanders are rather too expensive and my 7.3cuft/min compressor is I believe too small for the air driven type.

Only you can decide if buying one is justified depending on the work you do.
I bought my Metabo 450 a few years ago specifically to finish solid surface kitchen worktops, (Corian type) which it does beautifully to a nice gloss using 600 Abranet.
I also use it very regularly on wood but not to remove high volume of timber as a belt sander is quicker. It does very quickly strip off old finishes though. You do need to connect a vacuum to get good results!

Wouldn't be without it, the only thing I would add though is whichever you buy it's worth buying some pad savers as well, cheap enough and saves wear on the machine "velcro"

You will get a much better finish with a random orbital sander than you would with a random orbital Bob !!! :)

Grahamshed":3gx6bj16 said:
You will get a much better finish with a random orbital sander than you would with a random orbital Bob !!! :)

Assuming that's me, I'm totally lost Graham, It's gone straight over my head :duno: :lol: :lol: The old grey matter might not be working as well now I'm retired. :?

Lons":21pzu4y8 said:
Grahamshed":21pzu4y8 said:

Assuming that's me, I'm totally lost Graham, It's gone straight over my head :duno: :lol: :lol: The old grey matter might not be working as well now I'm retired. :?

Sorry Lons, I didn't realise that was your name. I was jokingly referring to our forum moderator "Random Orbital Bob' :)

I would say a ROS is a very useful sander. I had the luck of finding a festool RTS-400, which is more of a finishing sander and I make do with it, but I'd love a good ROS myself. If money where no object I'd go for the Mirka Deros hands down (also I wanna support locally made tools, made in finland less than 100km from me). But money is a factor... to the point that a ROS is just a fantasy for now. But definitely a useful tool. I had a cheap Cotech one but it stopped working a long time ago. Was rubbish from the start.

I've got a Metabo due to recommendations on here and for the price, it's excellent. Highly recommended.

Grahamshed":13vsn0dm said:
Lons":13vsn0dm said:
Grahamshed":13vsn0dm said:

Sorry Lons, I didn't realise that was your name. I was jokingly referring to our forum moderator "Random Orbital Bob' :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thought senility had set in already Graham

Thanks all for your views, I have ordered the Matabo SXF 450 Turbotech and will buy a set of Arbranet with some pad saver disks when in Restexpress next.

Sander just arrived have just ordered some 40mm silicone pipe to fit the outlet for dust extraction. Have others found a better method?

What dust extractor are you using? My Metabo (and everything else) fit either my festool vacs or the Metabo vac, or the Fein. Are you on a large extractor?

Back